Welcome! Top Ten Books!

Grab a cuppa, a book and an awesome seat because it is time to read some books! I thought that as my first EVER post on my blog I should do some sort of intro, but you can pretty much learn most of what you need to know about me in my 'About Me' or on my other blogs. So...instead I decided to do a Top Ten.

This is a very traditional blog, it's a bit like a make-up collection or a bookshelf tour as it changes so frequently!

But, this is my Top Ten Books!

(In no particular order...choosing a favourite book would be like choosing my favourite child or chocolate)

1. The Other Boleyn Girl - Phillipa Gregory: This book was all the rage a few years ago, not only because of the terrible but watchable film but because of its story and writing. Phillippa Gregory is a staple author in my house, she is my mum's favourite and we have every book she has written littered around my house. I have read others, but The Other Boleyn Girl is the one that I can remember reading and also re-reading. I enjoy the plot, the ability to pick-it-up and put it down and the writing is superb.

2. Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell: A very recent read but I adored this book. I read it in under a week and I looked forward to the moment that I could read it. I would give it 5 out of 5 stars, with only the tiniest deduction for a lack of believability in the middle - see a review I did on my booktube channel for more details! 

 
3. Apache: Girl Warrior - Tanya Landman: I read this in year 8 when it was nominated for the Carnegie Medal Award. I wanted it to win! I enjoy this story. It is about a girl in the Black Mountains Apache tribe who decides to be a warrior after most of her tribe as massacred by Mexicans. It is a children's story, a historical novel and a partial romance ravelled into one and it is beautifully written. I would highly recommend it.

4. Goodnight Mister Tom - Michelle Magorian: Another child's story I read at school. I can remember reading ahead at school with this novel because I enjoyed it so much, but I didn't mind it when I finished before everyone else because I got to read it again afterwards. I was probably only 10, about the same age as Willie Beech, the protagonist who is sent to the country during World War Two and billeted with a gruff old man: Mister Tom. It is a poignant historical novel, brilliant. I would happily re-read this again and again.


 
5. The Reader - Bernard Schlink: I read this novel in complete rebellion of my parent's wishes. It was just after the movie had won it's Oscars and everyone seemed to be talking about it, but my parents refused to let me watch it with them or learn anything about it. I must have been about 14-15 maybe? Maybe even older, but they wouldn't let me watch it. So when I spotted the novel in a charity shop I bought it and read it in secret in my bedroom. As you can tell I enjoyed it. It is moving and fast-paced and an easy-read, and it didn't shock me in the way that I suppose my parents thought it might. Yes it has rude imagery in it, so definitely not a child's read, but it is a very good book.

6. Where Rainbows End - Ceceila Ahern: I saw the trailer for 'Love, Rosie' the film adaption of this book and I thought 'I have to read this book!' So when I found it the next day in my local 'Books for free' shop I took it and I read it in a single night. The story is so sweet: It is about two
best friends, a boy and a girl, and their lives as they grow up separated from each other. There is a quote in the latest movie trailer that goes: 'We were inseparable, constantly being separated.' It sums up the book entirely, and also the romance that ensues it. Very 'When Harry Met Sally' with the age-old question, 'can boys and girls truly ever just be friends?'


 
7. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks: Another book I read in school, and another one that I read ahead of and adored. I have destroyed my copy of this book, not only with notes and highlighting, but with sheer handling. I have read and re-read this book in it's entirety about 10 times over the last 3 years and if I ever just need a book for a long car journey or because I just don't fancy any I will always pick this one up. Love it.
 
8. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins: How could I do a Top Ten without mentioning the Hunger Games. I read all of these books before the movies came out, and I read all three within 2 afternoons. I just sat and read, and it was wonderful. I love the films, I think they have done the books, so far,  justice, and I love the story. I'm not normally a dystopian fiction fan but there was someithng about these books that I couldn't pull myself away from. Really love these books!

 
9. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott: It took me forever to read this book, and Good Wives that technically is a separate story but really is just Little Women continued. The story of four sisters, living in poverty in New England America. There is something familial and romantic already. Each of the girls have their own set of personalities and I can't help but love everyone single one of them, although there is something about Beth - the quiet, loveable but humble Beth - that I prefer over all the rest. It is a sweet story of their lives as they grow from 'Little Women' to 'Good Wives' and it is beautifully written and realised. Amazing.

 
10. Harry Potter Series - J.K.Rowling: I'm British. Need I say more...no, of course I do. I was very late to the Harry Potter book marathon, I only read the books when the last movie was on it's way out starting - terribly- with the last book. Like many people I just wanted to know who died in the Battle of Hogwarts. But after actually reading the last few chapters of Deathly Hallows I realised I had to read the rest. So I did. I now have a tradition of re-reading the series every summer. My parents no longer need a calendar to tell when it is summer as they have me and Harry Potter. People ask me all the time if I get bored of reading the same books again and again, but I haven't yet and I've been reading them every summer for the last 5 years...going well so far!

 
So that is my Top Ten Books! I hope you enjoyed, and I hope you know a little more about me! Let me know what your favourite books are!!!

Happy Reading!



No comments