August Wrap-Up

This month was a slow month of reading for me...shameful I know!
I've only managed to fully read 2 books! I am horrified! I'll get into the books that I read in a few moments and the book that I am currently reading at the moment as well...but first an explanation. With Summer, for me, comes a lot of work. I am returning to University at the end of this month and I have to fund the entire year from my wages in Summer, hence I have to work an awful lot!

Normally working doesn't affect my reading so much as I can happily sit in the staff room at lunch and read my book whilst eating a microwavable pizza - they're delicious! - but this month it has been impossible to do that due to the amount of gossip at my work, the general business of work and the fact that as the month went on I was so exhausted I just wanted to sleep during my break! So, I haven't read that much.

Now, for the books I have managed to read:

1. Eleanor and Park - Rainbow Rowell: I won't go into too much detail into this book because it is in my top ten post that I did as my welcome but...what I will say is this. If I had only manage to read one book this month I would have been happy. I know there is a lot of hype around this book and I'm sure people are getting to the stage where they want the 'next-big-thing' to come along, but this really is a good book. The characters are realistic, which I love, and the story isn't the typical 'boy-meets-girl-and-falls-in-love' there are twists! ***** book!

 
2. Ketchup Clouds - Annabel Pitcher: Another book I won't go into too much detail about as my last post was a review on it. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. Would lend it to somebody but not go out of my way to recommend it to someone, if you get what I mean. *** book.


 
3. Knots & Crosses - Ian Rankin: Ok...technically shouldn't be writing about this book because I haven't finished it yet. But I will in a day or so. It is the first story in Rebus collection by Rankin. A series about a police detective who drinks too much, smokes too much and lives in Edinburgh. The story revolves around a serial killer who is taking young girls and killing them. No one knows why? No one can tell who'll be next? And Rebus is sick of the case, but when it becomes personal it becomes his life. It is an interesting story, and one I wouldn't have picked off the shelf if it wasn't for my University reading list. I can't say it's amazing but I like the occasional thrill and that pretty much describes the story: an occasional thrill. At other times a tad boring...I'll do a full review once I've finished it.

So that is my, rather despicable, August Wrap-Up. I hope you've had a better time of reading this month!

No comments