My September Wrap-Up...

This month was definitely better for reading than August and I'm pleasantly surprised to find I read 4 books over the course of 4 weeks, but I must admit to being a little disappointed in myself for not reading all the ones on my September TBR...but there is an explanation.

Let's start with the books that I did read + some little mini reviews.

1. Who Will Run The Frog Hospital by Lorrie Moore. **
           - If you were to ask me to explain the plot of this story I would find it difficult, as such I am going to be re-reading it before my first Creative Writing lecture on Wednesday as I don't want to appear like a clueless person. It's not that I didn't concentrate when I read it, or even that I didn't read it. I just didn't understand. It is generally the way with Creative Writing set texts, we read authors such as Ernest Hemingway (his short stories and the like) and the language and the lack of development throughout a story can make it hard to grasp the whole picture, as it was, this story didn't really give me a picture, except a very basic one. So at the moment I give this book 2 out of 5 stars!

2. Wait For You by J.Lynn ***
         - I have done a whole review on this book already so I will leave it to you to read that if you would like to know my thoughts. But I gave it 2.5 stars out of 5 (Although it is represented as a 3 above)

3. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green ****
        - Finally I have read this story, and I am in two minds as to whether to do a full review or not, as this story is kind of old news but I do have a different opinion of it to most people. I enjoyed it, but I did not think it was the story of the century. As that is, it may be because I've seen the movie, I know the hype, I've known the story for a while just not read the book. If that has altered my opinion then I apologise to Mr Green for this less-than-amazing review, but it is the way I felt. I don't enjoy stories about teenagers dying of cancer, and he can argue all he likes that whilst the main story is not about two teens cancer sufferers falling in love, it is a part of it and so make 'Sick-Lit' a minor genre. And I don't enjoy it. Whether because it makes me sad, or just generally dislike it, I don't enjoy it. That being said, he does a very job (the best I've read so far) of using this plot line as a way of showing the truth of real sufferers. Overall, however, I didn't feel punched-in-the-stomach wowed by this story.
I have given it 4 stars out of 5 which too me is a good book, as it is very well-written, but not the best book I've read all year.

 
4. Downton Abbey Scripts for Season 1 by Julian Fellowes *****
         - I have mentioned this prematurely
in my TBR for next month as I am currently reading the 2nd book in this collection and I loved it! I can't say that it is a story, although technically it is a book of 7 episode length stories, but it is a book and I cannot recommend it enough, so for once...I am giving out a rare 5 out of 5 review! This book will not be for everyone, but it is very good for all those, like me, who love Downton Abbey and enjoy reading scripts!

 
That is it for my September Wrap-Up. Definitely read more than I expected this month, what with work until the 24th and University from the 26th it has been hectic this last month. Now to read, hopefully, my October TBR.

Let me know what you've read this month. And Happy Reading!


No comments