Book Haul // Haul


I realised recently that I hadn’t done a book haul in a whileand that is partly because I haven’t bought a book in a while! Shocker! I have been seriously piled with work lately and my bank budget isn’t as healthy as I’d likebut I have recently gone out and spent some of my hard-earned time and Waterstones points and picked up some books!



These include:

16 of the Little Black Penguin Classics! I have 8 and then I went and bought 8 more: So I have now got:

1.   John Ruskin: Traffic

2.   Walt Whitman: On the Beach at Night Alone

3.   John Keats: Eve of St Agnes

4.   Hans Christian Anderson: The Tinder Box

5.   Edgar Allan Poe: The Tell-Tale Heart

6.   Jane Austen: The Beautiful Cassandra

7.  Samuel Taylor-Coleridge: Well they are gone, and here I must remain

8.   Charles Dickens: The Great Winglebury Duel

9.   Elizabeth Gaskell: The Old Nurses Story

10. Charles Perkins Gilman: The Yellow Wallpaper

11. Samuel Pepys: The Great Fire of London

12. Wilfred Owen: Anthem of Doomed Youth

13. Sophocles: Antigone

14. Emily Brontë: The Night is Darkening Around me

15. Kate Chopin: A Pair of Silk-Stockings

16. Brothers Grimm: The Robber Bridegroom

There we have it. 16 out 80and counting. (The ones in italics are ones I bought a few days ago) I hope to collect them all over the next few weeks as all together the entire collection of £64 and that really isn’t that much for what you get! And they’re so beautiful! I adore them! I really do!

Okmoving on from my strange adoration of short stories/critiques/plays and poems. To a relatively new novel that is creating a stir:

-      The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson


First of allthe cover is brilliant. If I didn’t know the subject matter already, I think I could guess. The story is about a boy called David Piper and I love jacket description

“David Piper has always been an outsider. His parents think he’s gay. The school bully thinks he’s a freak. Only his two best friends know the real truth David wants to be girl.”

That has so much power and tells me so much already that I want to high-five David, or give him a hugI don’t know him that well, yet. I cannot wait to start reading this book!

-      The Mousetrap and other Plays by Agatha Christie

 
I found this sweet little collection in a local charity shop and I thought ‘why not’. I watched the Lee Evans/Nathan Lane film of Mousetrap when I was younger but honestly all I remember is grown men chasing mice, which I generally think is the premise but apparently it is very funnyso I look forward to reading this.

-      The Last of the Mohicans

 
Another story I have heard about and know of the movie with Daniel Day-Lewis but I’ve never read. I found this lovely little classic book in a ‘Books for Free’ shop so I didn’t pay, obviously. But it is pocket-sized which means it will be great on a train journey one dayI hope so at least!

-      Constructed of Magic And other poems on the Immortality of the Human Spirit by Louis Alan Swartz

 
I was sent this book for review so watch out for that in the next few weeks from the lovely Lisa in America. I am currently studying poetry at University and I am enjoying reading and listening to a lot of poetry at the moment. I didn’t realise there were quite so many types romantic classic poetry, World War One, Swartz work which is contemporary poetry with a spiritual twist and even slam poetry, which is a new love! (Check out the link below to watch my favourite poem of late: Denice Frohman!  Warning: Swearing and Adult topics- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5frn8TAlew0&list=WL&index=17)

-      Burma and the Jade Tree by Robin H. Meakins

 
Another book I’ve been sent to review. I need to get on with reading this book! It is a historical novel about an Anglo-Burmese pilot during the retreat from Burma filled with pictures, historical facts and a narrative this should be an interesting read.

-      I was here by Gayle Forman

 
Quite easily the bargain of this whole haul! I went into my trusty charity shop and found this beauty, recently released this year, for 50p. Good quality and perfect for my upcoming time-off! Very happy to have discovered this, and I look forward to reading it!

So there we have it. A slightly odd book haul, with quite a few review books to read and some little stories to get throughit’s going to be an interesting few weeks of literature I think!

Let me know what you’re reading and if you like the look of any of these books!

Happy Reading!

4 comments

  1. Such a great haul! Penguin Classics are always so beautiful! These black and white editions are so simple, but urgh I just want them all! The Art Of Being Normal seems like something I would love, and okay I'm a cover whore, so that's my main reason for wanting it, but the synopsis is pretty interesting too lol. My mom got me If I Stay back in august, and I haven't even read it yet, (Terrible I know) and sadly I haven't read anything from Agatha Christie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those little Penguin Classics! I have been meaning to buy some of them for ages, although every time I see them it does remind me of the time I was in Waterstones and a woman tried to reach one at the back and ending up knocking every book off the shelf domino style!
    I'm hoping to read The Art of Being Normal as well soon, because I've read a lot of good reviews about it. I hope you enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martika - Thanks again. The Penguin classics are gorgeous! Really recommend them and I am the same with 'If I Stay' I find the over-hype of books puts me off but I like the sound of Gayle Forman's newer book better! But we'll see which one I read first in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura - Oh dear! Apart from the issues but I recommend them wholeheartedly! (Pick them up online if you're memory gets the better of you) ;) I can't wait to read 'The Art of Being Normal' - I'll place a review up once its done :)

    ReplyDelete