March Wrap-Up // Wrap-Up & TBR

So I know I am a little early with the wrap-up but I have so many essays and revision to do that I’m not going to read my current book for a week, at least, so here goes:

The Wrap-Up

1.   The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S.Lewis

 
I was enjoying the book series of Narnia but this book dragged a little for me. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads but I was surprised when I saw many reviews saying it was everyone’s favourite tale of the series. I thought it had too many tales in it, almost like a book of short stories but with the same characters as such. Still good but easily forgettable for me.

2.   I Truly Lament by Mathias B. Freese

 
Speaking of short stories this book was sent to me by the author and very kindly so. For a full review check out my blogpost about three weeks ago. I really enjoyed this collection and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in the Holocaust and short stories!

3.   The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

 
I loved this book. Favourite book of the year so far! I could blub with how much I adored it but I shan’t, because I already have. In a review I posted last week! Go and check that out for full details of my undying devotion to this book! (OkI am well aware how cheesy that paragraph sounds, but what can I say: it’s that good!)

4.   The Two Towers: The Ring goes East by J.R.R.Tolkien

 
I am making my way, slowly but surely, through the Lord of the Rings set and I was happily surprised with how much I enjoyed book 4. It is definitely one of the shortest of the six, but the story focuses entirely on Frodo, Sam and Gollum as they make their way across the dead marshes and to the Black Gates, gripping, heart-breaking and scary in places! Really enjoying this series!

5.   The Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

 
Finally for a book that excelled my expectations: The Monster Calls! Brilliant. I knew roughly what this book was about from other reviews it involves a boy whose mother has cancer and a monster that comes and visits him at night it is slightly scary, surreal and very moving, but what is equally as gripping about this book is the narrative by Patrick Ness. This is my first Ness novel, and it didn’t disappoint, but technically this story is by Siobhan O’Dowd who unfortunately passed away before she could finish it (I believe she wrote the first few pages before she passed, also of cancer) Very moving story highly recommend!
So that is the Wrap-Up, now for the slightly ambitious TBR. Be aware I am in the middle of essays at University as well as work and home-time for Easter! I never get that much reading done when I have a load on my plate so: small books!
 

The To-Be-Read List
1.   My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher

 
I am currently about a 1/5 of the way through this story and whilst I can’t say it is gripping me, it is certainly interesting me. It is about a boy whose sister was killed in a terrorist attack when he was 5 and 5 years later how his family his drunk father, cheating mother and the twin sister of Rose, the sister that died are coping. I’m looking forward to seeing how this ends!

2.   The Return of the King: The War of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

 
I am so close to getting to the end of this series, I am determined to finish it before I finish University! Next book takes me back to the other members of the Fellowship of the Ring and their adventures and battles at Gondor!

3.   The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson

 
Even I don’t finish this book next month I hope to start reading this story about a transgender boy called David! Sounds really interesting and has rave reviews!

4.   Constructed of Magic by Louis Alan Swartz

 
A book I’ve been sent for review, full of poems I think this will be an interesting and inspiring read, particularly since I need inspiration with a poetry module I am taking for University. I’ve been loving poetry lately I hope I love this collection to. I’ll let you know in my review!

 

There we have it, for this month. I hope you enjoyed, and let me know what you’re reading or have read this month.

 

Happy Reading!

 

(PS. I do reply to all comments left on my blog page but for some reason they don’t appear for everyone to see I do see them and I do respond but make sure to check your emails as that is where the message turns up!)

 

 

1 comment

  1. You've read really good books this month! I read Night Circus earlier this year and it's become one of my favs as well! I'm currently reading the Voyage of the Dawn Treader and so far I think I still prefer book 2. Awesome wrap-up!

    ReplyDelete