Penguin Little Black Classics // Book Haul

After talking to some lovely Book Bloggers about not having any of these books in my local Waterstonesmy local Waterstones got them! Coincidences are brilliant! Unfortunately they didn’t have many they had 15 out of 80 but they luckily had the ones I was my excited to buy!

A little background:

It is Penguin’s 80th birthday this year so in honour of this pivotal anniversary they have released 80, little black classic books for 80p each. Each is a short story or a small collection of poems.

They are a steal and I really recommend them! I am certainly hoping to collect them all from this moment on!

Soto show you the ones I got:

No. 10. On the Beach at Night Alone by Walt Whitman this includes a few of Whitman’s verses.
 
No. 31. The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe A suspenseful short story, which I actually studied in Creative Writing last year. Great read for those that are attempting to get into Horror/Thriller books.

 
No. 33. The Beautiful Cassandra by Jane Austen a small collection of some stories that Jane Austen wrote as a teenager for family entertainment.


I love the quote they have in the front page: “She has many rare and charming qualities, but Sobriety is not one of them” Who knew Austen wrote such tales of drunks as a child?

No. 37. The Great Winglebury Duel by Charles Dickens two short stories Dickens wrote for Sketches before his huge success.


No. 42. The Yellow Wall-Paper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman -  Another short story I have read and loved in my Creative Writing course. This is the most recommended book of this entire collection, I swear! Even the Waterstones cashier recommended it to me!


No. 47. The Great Fire of London by Samuel Pepys Pepys eyewitness account of the fire of London. I can never get over the fact he buried his cheese for fear it would be stolen during the fire!


No. 63. The Night is Darkening Round me by Emily Brontë One of my favourite women of history. This book contains some of her best poems. This was the book I was after the most!


No. 66. The Silk Stocking by Kate Chopin 5 of her short stories, all quick and easy reads but all deeply enjoyable!


There we have it. Those are the 8 that I got, all of which came to the total of: £6.40. That is cheaper than your average book, and I am yet to read a book with such diversity and originality! If you haven’t checked your local stores for any of these books, go and check them out!


I’ll keep you posted as I collect some more!

Happy Reading!

 


1 comment

  1. Awesome post. This books look so cool. Plus I love the covers. Penguin did a really good job with these editions.

    ReplyDelete