July Book Haul

So I haven’t done a book haul in quite a whilethe reason beingI haven’t bought many books!

I was just having a phase of ‘not-enough-hours-in-the-day’ so I was lacking in books. But, nonetheless, I have got some books recently and they are:

1.   The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
 
 

I was in Sainsbury yesterday and spotted this for £6.49, reduced from £12.99 and since everyone has been raving about this book I thought ‘Why not!’ and purchased it. I don’t normally read thriller/mystery type books so I’m looking forward to reading this.

2.   It Ain’t Easy by Kesia Alexandra
 
This is review book I have been sent of short stories about living in Washington D.C and I am looking forward to readingso watch out for the review of this!

3.   1984 (the play) by George Orwell
 
 
I once tried to read 1984 but struggled so I thought I’d try to read the play as I can normally read a play in one sitting, and if I enjoy it I’ll probably read the book as well. If notwell at least I know what the story is now.

4.   The Lie by Helen Dunmore
 
 

This is a World War One book and one I’ve seen on Waterstones tables for ages and never purchased. I managed to find it for £1.99 in a local charity shop so maybe I’ll finally get around to reading it!
5.   Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
 
 

I love the movie adaption of this book. The book revolves around Lily and Snowflower in 19th century China. The two girls are ‘laotongs’ sworn sisters as they marry for money/business etc they separate but communicate through a secret language on a fan over years of heartache and suffering. It’s a really interesting story and I never read anything about China so I’m looking forward to reading this.
6.    The Bees by Laline Paull
 
 
This book has been propping over Booktube and the premise just grabbed me. Set in the perspective of a bee called Flora it tells the story of a bee’s life as a worker/mother bee. It sounds fascinating and I cannot wait to read it!

7.  The Outcast by Sadie Jones
 
 
I recently watched the BBC adaption of this book and I found it really entertaining but I wanted to know more about the workings of the characters mind as it revolves around Lewis Aldrige who witnessed the death of his mother and who changes because of it. I’m hoping the book will illuminate the mindfulness that adaption lacked.

8.   The Bees by Carol Ann Duffy
 
 
Carol Ann Duffy is my favourite poetry and I’m looking forward to reading this collection of her poems. Each one has something to do with a bee in it or around it. (Clearly this month is ‘Bee Month’)

9.   Birdsong (the play) by Sebastian Faulks adapted by Rachel Wagstaff
 
 
I went to see this play (check out my book to play review) and I loved it! And I desperately wanted to read the play itself to see how it was crafted and too take tips on it for my own writing as it is the kind of play I aspire to write after I complete my degree.

10. Peter and Alice by John Logan
 

This is a play about Peter Llewelyn Davis and Alice Liddell the inspiration behind Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. The true story tells of Peter and Alice meeting for the first time. Both of their lives were ruined by being the inspiration for these stories and this meeting offers them a chance to discuss it with people who understand.

11. Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony & Rodrigo Corral
 
 
One of my first graphic novels. This book tells the story of a couple in a strenuous relationship only through photographs. It seems like a really interesting concept and I’m looking forward to flicking through this.  

Those are all the books I purchased recently and I am so excited to read them as I have only really read Harry Potter for the last two months no complaints but it is time to shake up the genres a bit!

Happy Reading Folks!

1 comment

  1. I must recommend reading the book The Girl on the Train: A Novel.
    I just finished reading it today, and I think its a really interesting book to read.

    I brought mine from Amazon and they delivered it in just 2 days.
    Here's the link for the book on Amazon:
    http://amzn.to/2bmQFNj

    ReplyDelete