Top Ten Fictional Baddies // Listopia

 
To quote Rita Skeeter: ‘Everyone loves a rebel’ and whilst most baddies are not necessarily rebelling against the ‘right’ things sometimes you can’t help but like them for their humour, wit or simply their fashion sense!

1.   Long John Silver from Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

 
Long John Silver is a strange baddie, but one who is believably human. He changes sides whenever possible, knows what he wants but understands that sometimes plans change. He is actually a nice guy to anyone that doesn’t stand in his way or irritate him. He is almost fatherly to ---- in Treasure Island. And he gets away in the end that’s success in a baddies’ dictionary!

2.   The White Witch from The Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

 
There is something so wondrously evil about the White Witch, she is the Oliver Cromwell of Narnia she stole Christmas! There is nothing worse than that! But she is also very powerful and has the whole girl-power thing going for her!

3.   Captain Hook from Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

 
I always feel sorry for Captain Hook, whether this is because I find kids irritating (not always but if they scream/shout/whinge/cry/complainI hate them) but also because he is so typically British Old Etonian, likes romantic poetry, plays the harpsichordbut then again he also enjoys plunging his hook into people...

4.   Sauron from The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

 
There is something quite frightening about an all-seeing eye that can look across a whole earth constantly! It is also a really appealing idea for a baddie! I always think it’s a miracle that the goodies won in this story! It certainly seems, at least half the time that they were all screwed!

5.   Mrs Danvers from Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

 
Talk about mental issues, Mrs Danvers torments and mentally confuses Mrs De Winters constantly throughout Rebecca. Reminding her of her husband’s first wife whilst seemingly going insane in her own right! She is the worst kind of human being but a really good baddie as you can’t help but feel sorry for her.

6.   Voldemort from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

 
Voldemort is the baddie of my generation but I have to admit besides the whole ‘living forever plan’ he doesn’t actually have much of a planif he had won I wonder what would have happened to the population of the wizards or muggles? He’s bad but he is also an idiot.

7.  Fagin from Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

 
Fagin can be perceived as a lovable baddie, particularly with the late Ron Moody’s portrayal of him in the 1960s but he is also a straight up criminal pickpocketing is the basics of criminality and he only increases it by forming a legion of children to do his dirty-work! For an uneducated peasant he does fairly welluntil the end of the novel that is.

8.   Iago from Othello by William Shakespeare

 
He is one of my favourite baddies simply for being awful. You just want to shake him by the shoulders and tell him to stop being so mean! With just a few words he causes murder, insanity and accusations and he is still perceived as a lovely bloke!

9.   Mr Wickham from Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

 
He was so close to being our Mr Darcyuntil he turned out to be an arse with good looks. So mean! Bad Mr Wickham.

10. The Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

 
Water kills herwhy, because water is pure and the witch is not! She is tries to kill Dorothy for shoes! I mean sure I would a pair of Louboutins but I’m not going to try to kill you with bees, crows, winged monkeys or poisonous flowers!


So there are my top ten fictional baddies! I am not saying I like any of these characters or would ever want to be friends with them but you can’t deny some of them are awesome!

Let me know which baddies you ‘like’ or you’d put on a list like this!

Happy Reading! J


5 comments

  1. I just love this post. I shared it on google with my friends. It be so awesome, if you could stop by my blog this week to link up your article. I'm hosting a Book linky for a week starting today. I'm sure my readers would love it as much as I do! The post that has the linky is called Ten Commandments of a ferocious reader. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and my favorite buddy Leatherstocking, the character from James Fenimore Cooper books The Deerslayer, The last of Mohicans, etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on Voldemort - he was 'the' baddie of my generation, too. Unfortunately, I haven't read a villain I really like - I mean Hannibal and Loki became my faves on tv and film, but book? The only one that comes to mind is Set from Rick Riordan's Kane Chronicles series. He was pretty funny, cunning, and unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww - thanks so much Eva! :) I'll have a look at your blog and see what I can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jee - Voldemort is definitely our baddie :) Loki is one of my favourites from Films! His wit and comic timing is perfection! I've never read a book by Rick Riordan...I think I might need to soon ;)

    ReplyDelete