Top 5 Bookish Pet Peeves


Top 5 Bookish Pet Peeves

We all have pet peeves, but as a book blogger my peeves are specifically book-related.

Let me know if you have any of these bookish pet peeves also, or if you have any I’ve either forgotten about or just don’t bother me.

1.   Dog-Eared Pages
 

Oh God, I hate these! I used to be extremely guilty of doing this but then again I used to read books and then give them away almost as soon as I had read them. But now, of course, I keep them because I love books! So you can imagine how much this irritates me upon reading these books again.

2.   Broken Spines
 

Another hateful truth of book reading. I, once again, was guilty of this. In fact I used to enjoy cracking the spines of a book, but now simply for aesthetic reasons I detest this! It’s irritating to hold a book that keeps flopping over to the same page, not to mention the way it looks on bookshelves!

It may be a sign of well-enjoyed/good book, but it does not look great!

3.   Size Difference

You’ve just read a great book and you can’t wait to read the sequelbut when it arrives the book is the wrong size to the other. Not only do they look really odd on the shelves but they’re difficult to get into.

Example: Outlander I really enjoyed the first book and couldn’t wait to read the second but when it came it was tiny! Now it is sitting, looking odd and unread, on my shelf!

4.   Discoloured Books
 
 

This is not something that happens often but books I get from charity shops are often discoloured. I don’t understand how it can happen so drastically sometimes!

5.   Film Covers vs Book Covers

 
Sometimes I love film covers and sometimes I hate it. I really like the movie cover of ‘One Day’ by David Nicholls, I like it much more than then original book cover, but most of the time I hate the ‘movie poster’ look of some books!

There are my top 5 bookish peeves! Let me know about yours.

Happy Reading J



6 comments

  1. My biggest pet peeve: small print. I don't have great near vision (to say the least), and small print either gives me a headache, or makes it impossible for me to read the book.

    I also dislike reading blogs where the poster uses long paragraphs for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grr. I actually felt angsty while reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your peeves, but if it means not reading, I'll take reading any day. I want to immerse in a great story. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I hate those things too! Once a friend gave me back a book she had borrowed from me with the spine COMPLETELY broken. I've never lent out a book since then -_-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit, I have dog-eared. I do it a LOT less than I used to...but definitely am guilty.

    Broken spines are the WORST. People don't seem to think you can break a book, but that is definitely breaking it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to all that commented :) I agree whole-heartedly with all of you. I would love to thread comments and respond perfectly but I'm having trouble with the coding so I must do a group comment response for the time-being!

    Thanks so much for commenting though, it means a lot! :) Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete