6 Books I'd Recommend to University Students


Top 6 Books I’d recommend to a Student

I have officially started my 3rd, and final, year of University and it is mind-blowingly scaryalright not mind-blowingly. It is enough to freak me out and want to curl up in a corner with a book though.

Which got me thinking.

What books would I recommend to myself if I had to start this whole process off again? So I’m going to have ago at recommending some books to students based on what I have read over the last 3 years.

Here we go:

1.   Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

 
A good book to start off with because it is a relatively short, it has some student-y elements with a really nice 80s/90s vibe to it (not extremely 80s or 90s though). It deals with mental health issues and friendships & the style of the book is flowing and easy-to-put-down-and-pick-up. Perfect for reading in between seminar preps.

2.   Where Rainbows End (Love, Rosie) by Cecelia Ahern

 
I read this in my second year and I could not put it down. It is a romance developed from friendship and it is all about missing chances. This is a classic book for reading before bed or when relaxing on your ‘study days’.

3.   The Night Circus by Erin Morgernstern

 
When you are having a rough time or need some downtime from life read the Night Circus, you are transported to this Victorian era filled with Wish Trees, Cloud Tents and the best described popcorn ever! It’s transportation at its best.

4.   The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson

 
For those struggling with confused sexuality, friendship or a want to be themselves this is a really good book for inspiration as well as enjoyment. I really loved this book!

5.   The Reader by Bernard Schlink

 
Not only is this historical fiction, so it’ll make you seem grown up, this book will have you considering how you live your life. With issues of redemption, forgiveness, first love and guilt it is a heavy book filled with under-stated beauty and horror. A really interesting read.

6.   The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Perfect for Christmas time and perfect for when you need a moment of childish adventure in your life. For the most part these brothers and sisters are part of most student’s childhoods, sometimes it’s nice to revisit old friends.

There we go. 6 is a random number, I know, but I couldn’t think of any others that hadn’t already been covered in that genremost of my books were historical after all.

I hope you enjoyed the list nonetheless. Let me know if you have any recommendations for me to read in my final year! I’d love some new books on my TBR!

Happy Reading!

2 comments

  1. This is such a great post idea Ellie :) I read all of these except for The Reader and The Art of Being Normal and I agree with these picks. I saw the movie for The Reader and am currently thinking of getting the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Soudha :) I'd really recommend both of those actually! I read the reader when I was about 16 and I loved it. It is so moving and thought-provoking as well as incredibly easy to read. And the Art of Being Normal has to be one of my favourite books of this year!

    ReplyDelete