Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books on my Fall TBR



Let’s do a Top Ten Tuesday, courtesy of Broke and Bookish. Today’s category is:

Top Ten Books on my Fall TBR

They are:

1.   The Bees by Laline Paull

 
This is a book I’ve been mentioning a lot lately, and still haven’t got around to reading, but cannot wait to read. It is told from the perspective of a female worker bee. A perspective I have never even heard of let alone read.

2.   Me Before You by JoJo Moyes

 
The movie adaption of this is coming out sometime next year, I think, and from what I’ve heard of the plot I think it is a book to read beforehand (so as to save myself from the traumatic sobbing in the cinema) Will is a quadriplegic young man and Louisa is a young woman who becomes his carer. There are some deep themes in this story: euthanasia, coming-of-age, rape and love, but I have heard great things.

3.   Downton Abbey Season 3 Scripts by Julian Fellowes

 
I remembering reading the scripts for Season 2 when I started University for the 2nd year last year, and now I’m joining my third I have such an urge to read the scripts! Odd. The last season has just begun airing in Britain and so far it has been really good! I’m in such a Downton mood now. Cuppa tea and this book sounds like heaven.

4.   The Care & Management of Lies by Jaqueline Winspear

 
I’ve recently got back into reading World War One Literature and this book has been sitting pretty on my shelf for well over a year and I think it is about time I read it! Told from the perspectives of two friends and one of their husbands the story travels from the trenches, to a struggling farm on the homefront as each of the relations deals with the effects of WW1 and the changes in society.

5.   All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

 
YesI still need to read this book tooI haven’t been in a YA mood lately. But I will get there. This book has drawn similarities from The Fault In Our Starsmight be a bit heavy for the first week back at University but something to settle into soon.

6.   Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H.Lawrence

 
This is the next book on my classics ‘to-read’ list and I have started it. So far I can tell it is going to be a ‘wordy’ book but I haven’t been able to draw out any other conclusions. Supposedly it is a racy book, it is what it is famous for, but after reading (unfortunately) one chapter and seeing one clip (even more unfortunately) from  Fifty Shades of Grey I think I can handle mentions of a man’s ‘John Thomas’ and plaited pubic hair.

7.  Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

 
I first saw this book on Jen Campbell’s Booktube channel and I have been intrigued by it ever since. I think it is about time I got around to reading it. The story is about a person who is inter-sex Cal (his male name) or Calliope (his female name) is the main protagonist of a story about Greek heritage, mutated genes and sexual identity. Complicated but fascinating.

8.   Jubilee Lines by Carol Ann Duffy

 
I have been really enjoying reading Carol Ann Duffy’s poetry recently. I just completed ‘The Bees’ and I saw this collection on the Book People for £2 and I had to grab it and now I can’t wait to read it and add it to my growing collection of poetry books.

9.   The Year of the Rat by Clare Furness

 
This is a book on my University reading list and one I have also started to read. The protagonist, Pearl, is heartbroken at the death of her pregnant mother and has to deal with the mental effects of this sudden death as well as the emotional effects of having a newborn sister (the rat) who she cannot stop blaming for the death of her mother. A coming-of-age story about grief, loss and love.

10. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

 
Believe it or not I am still reading this seriesI took a summer-long break after reading this book, mostly, on journeys home from University. I am hoping to get back into it and complete it before the end of autumn so I can finally tick it off my-read list!

There are my Top Ten Books to read this autumn. I hope you enjoyed, leave me a link to your own posts on what you’re reading, I can’t wait to check some out!

Happy Reading!

 
















No comments