Top Ten YA Contemporary Novels



Technically this is a list of Ten YA Contemporary books that I want to read. I haven’t read many stand-alone YA books, let alone ones that aren’t in the Dystopian genre too.

Here goes:

1.   Me, Earl & The Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

 
The movie adaption of this has just been released but it is one book I would like to read before seeing the movie as I think the movie is going to be better, so I’d rather it be an improvement on the book rather than the book being a disappointment.

2.   My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

 
I need to find this book before I can read it. So far I haven’t been able to find a copy in England, but I will one day! The story, I believe, is about a young girl who has a troubled life with her mother but then meets her new neighbours and spends a lot of time around their house, eventually falling in love. Or something like that.

3.   Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist by David Leviathan & Rachel Cohn
 
A story of two people who meet one night and decide to travel around the city looking for a secretive band who only plays on random nights and no one knows who they are. Of course there is a theme of romance but if it is anything like the film there is also a hint of sarcasm and fun.

4.   All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

 
I really want to read this book. It seems to have a buzz of The Fault In Ours whilst also including some hard-hitting themes about mental illness.

5.   Paper Towns by John Green

 
I need to read another John Green to see if I actually like his writing and this is the only one of his books that interests me so it’ll probably be the next one I read.

6.   Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

 
Another author I would like to read more of. Since this one involves writing and also college life it seems suitable for me to read in my last year of University studying Creative Writing.

7.  Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

 
A story revolving around a young girl who is raped at a party and has to deal with the alienation that comes with such a horrible situation, not only socially but mentally as she does not speak after the event.

8.   The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

 
Bianca is classified as the ‘Designated Ugly Fat Friend’ and this comedic story is all about what happens within that label. Feeling that I have been a part of this label at some point or another I’m interested to see whether this is just another teenage-clique book or one with a messageI have a feeling it will be the former which means it should be fun.

9.   This Song will save your Life by Lelia Sales

 
A young girl struggles to make friends and almost gives up after a disastrous attempt but then meets an underground crowd of music-lovers and falls in love with DJing. I love music but I’ve never actually read a book with a music theme in its core.

10. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sanez
 
Aristotle and Dante are two loner-boys who meet and begin to talk to each other with nothing in common, but then develop a friendship that is incredibly powerful. I don’t know if this is LGBT book or simply a book of friendship but I enjoy the premise and I look forward to reading the book in the future.

So there are my Top Ten YA Contemporary books on my TBR list. I can’t wait to get through a few of them let me know if there are any I have missed from my list that you would recommend.

Happy Reading!

No comments