Top Ten Halloween Reads


Halloween is nearly here! We’re in Britain and we hardly even celebrate this spooky holiday, last year I remember I had no chocolate when kids came trick-or-treating at my uni houseso I had to give them a pound each! A pound! Horrid!

But there we go.

This year I am going to hide up in my room with my candles burning and reading in the flickering light! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!

So what are the best books to read this Halloween

1.   Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
 

Creepy, spooky photographs with a spooky story about family and ‘homes for children’I’m currently reading this book and I adore it! It took me ages to pick it up, but I can’t put it down now. Not necessarily ‘scary’ (although I typically read the semi-scary bits at 1am in the darkslightly mistake) but it has a really interesting plot and pace.

2.   Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

A Graphic Novel is an easy-read as well as an easy-scare for some people! Last year this book was huge on the booktube and bookblogger world and I still am desperate to buy this book and be scared out of my mind!

3.   Dr Jekll and Mr Hydge by R. L. Stevenson
 

A classic. A book that brought about thoughts on ‘split personality’ as Dr Jekyll hunts through foggy London for a murderer not knowing who it truly isslightly mind-boggling.

4.   Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

A lot of people tell me that if you’ve seen the adaptions (the play or films) you don’t truly know the story of Frankenstein and you should read the book! It’s definitely a gory book with the creation of a new person out of other people’s body-parts.

5.   A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

A whole series to sink your teeth into. About three orphans and their adventures over the course of 13 books. Very thrilling and fun.

6.   Harry Potter Series by J.K.Rowling
 

A little bit light-hearted but with the mix of people with two heads, death-day parties and giant serpents I think these can still be considered quite creepy in places.

7.  A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A child’s book, which is not particularly scary but a little uncomfortable in places (particularly if you get the illustrated version) Mainly it is sad, but if you are looking for a book to read at midnight and want to get through quickly this is a good one I think.

8.   The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndam

A book to make you think. Set in the 1960s in a sleepy British village of all the inhabitants and knocked out one day and when they come to they discover all the women are pregnant with ‘unnatural children’ aliens (we think) the book revolves around what they do with these children and the consequences of bringing them up. Oddly, sometimes a bit dreary, but is had one of the best opening chapters ever!

9.   The Witches by Roald Dahl

Who doesn’t remember being terrified by these mad witches and the idea of being turned into a mouse for all our lives!

10. Coraline by Neil Gaiman
 

I haven’t read the book but if it is truly anything like the moving, then I was incredibly freaked out!

So there are 10 books to read this Halloween.

Happy Reading!

No comments