October Book Haul // Part 2



As promised: the second part to my book haul. I went home last weekend and got the pictures and list of the books I bought and I didn’t realise I had bought quite so manybut they can’t have cost much because my bank balance has remained quite healthy surprise surprise.

AnywayI’ll get straight into it:

1.   Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman

 
I read this series back in my time at my Secondary School and I loved it. I devoured the first three books and found them really moving and fast-paced, but I never truly appreciated them. For the last few years I’ve been realising things, even without reading the books, which occurred in this book namely the racial tensions and the themes of the story: terrorism, suicide, teen pregnancy etc. It is a heavy book. So I want to re-visit it and see if I love it as much and understand it better.

2.   Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield

 
Another re-visit. I have a copy of this book, which belonged to my mum, but it is falling apart and I love it and want to re-read it this Christmas, so I thought I would re-purchase it and have this lovely copy on my shelf.

3.   Rebecca, Frenchman’s Creek & Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier

 
These three gorgeous books are a set on the Book People right now for a tiny amount of £4.99 for the whole set. I adore Rebecca, it was one of the most captivating reads I have ever read and I thought Du Maurier was a phenomenal writer, so I want to read some of her other works and this was the perfect collection to do just that.

4.   Conspiracy of Blood & Snow by Anne Blackman

 
I was lucky enough to receive it from Headline Publishing for review and shall get on with it soon because the premise sounds right up my street. The protagonist is in hiding as she was a part of the inner circle of Adolf Hitler in Germany but turned against him. When her lover has to return to Germany and is accused of murder she too returns and has to avoid Hitler whilst also dealing with this accusation and a conspiracy that the couple uncover. Sounds very tense and exciting.

5.   Wonder by R.J. Palacio

 
I remember putting this book on my wish list way-back-when I started this blog and I finally purchased it when I found it in a charity shop. The story revolves around a young boy with a facial disfigurement and I believe he has to go to school for the first time. Apparently it is very moving, it opens your eyes to a whole new perspective of disabilities and the treatment of people with them. I am looking forward to reading this.

6.   Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth

 
I recently purchased and began reading it. The story is based around the writer of Rapunzal. It is told, I believe, from the perspective of the female writer, who was banished from court and has to work her way back with her stories, Rapunzal and the Evil Witch. There are a lot of mixed reviews, but I could do with some fairy-tale revision stories.

7.  Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein



Rose is an American pilot in World War Two and the story focuses on what happens to her during the war. She isn’t a fighter pilot, as such, but I believe she gets into a few skirmishes, ends up in a women’s concentration camp and faces many adversities before the book is up. It’ll be interesting to see what occurs as I never read a story with female pilots in, let alone during wartime.

8.   Anne Frank’s Diary by Anne Frank



I’m ashamed I’ve never read this. I remember picking it up in primary school and not understanding and then later in secondary school and getting bored. I never truly understood what happened to Anne, but I remember seeing a BBC adaptation of the book and I’ve always wanted to read it so I finally have purchased a copy and will read it when the mood takes me.

9.   An Eagle in the Snow by Michael Morpurgo

 
I read this a few days ago and really enjoyed it. The story is set in WW2 on a train which is stuck in a tunnel as it was under fire. In one compartment is a young boy, his mother and an older man. The boy is afraid of the dark so the old man lights a match every so often and tells him a story of the most decorated soldier of the First World War to distract him. Besides a slightly clichéd ending it is a lovely story, and definitely one to add to your reading list if you’ve liked other Morpurgo books.

10. Keats’ Poetical Works



I have been looking for a collection of Keats’ work for an age! I love his poetry, but I have only got books with snippets of them in rather than the collection. This book seems to hold them all and they’re a fabulous read. Endymion is my favourite, with ‘Le Belle Dame sans Merci’ a close second.

11. Silence is Goldfish by Annabel Pitcher

 
Finally I recently purchased Annabel Pitcher’s new book. I am hoping that this book is better than her previous two. I’ve read both of them and, to my surprise and others, I have really not enjoyed them. I found ‘Ketchup Clouds’ to be depressing and forced and ‘My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece’ to be incredibly repetitive. Both of the premises were great though and I think I had to high of expectations, with ‘Silence is Goldfish’ (great title) I am going in blindI’ll let you know what I think.

That is everything! I bought quite a books last month and I hope to get through as many as possible before Christmas arrives! I have a whole reading list to get through in Decemberwhich I will post very soon.

What books have you bought, any books you would recommend to me?

Happy Reading!


No comments