October Book Haul // Pt 1



This month I may have bought a lot more books than anticipated, this is partly to be very close to a ‘books for free’ shop where you can take 3 books for free (you may also put in a donation, which I do) and also a very good charity shop.

It has been a good month for the off-the-beaten track books this month, I’m kind of going through a phase of reading obscure books.

I’ve decided to split this haul into 2:

Part 1: Books I’ve bought at University

Part 2: Books I’ve bought at Home

I go home every weekend so all the books I order are there, but all the books I buy in store are at University.

Without further ado let’s begin:

1.   The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton

I saw this in the Books for Free shop and the thing that caught me was that it was published by ‘Granta’, a literary magazine, which I have been studying in my Creative Writing Classes for two years. I don’t know anything about the story, but the font is in typewriter form and it was only written 6 years ago. Also the name Eleanor Catton rings a bellI’m pretty much going in blind.

2.   The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

 
The story revolves around Lennie, she has always lived (happily) in her sister Bailey’s shadow, but when Bailey suddenly dies she is thrust into the light of her own life. There are a few boys to deal with, confidence and clearly some tear-jerking issues. I’ve heard great things about Jandy Nelson, I’m looking forward to this.

3.   On the Beach by Nevil Shute

 
I’ve been thinking of getting some of Nevil Shute’s books for a while and I found this in a charity shop and the premise got me. A radioactive cloud is heading south towards Australia where there is an American Submarine crew. The captain gets attached to a local girl, but he has a wife back in America even though he doesn’t know if she is alive and then he gets a Morse code signal from the US and he has to leave and see if there are any signs of lifevery intense!

4.   Only Ever Yours by Louise O’Neil

 
I feel very late to the band-wagon with this book. This is kind of Handmaid’s Tale meets YA with girls being taught to always be beautiful, never back-chat or do anything besides what they’ve been selected to do. Sounds really up my street!

5.   Umbrella by Will Self

 
I got this book because I wanted to read more about Friern Mental Asylum, as part of a Creative Writing project. I’ve already tried to read this and the language and writing stylel is difficult. The story revolves around a woman who in 1920 contracted Spanish Flu and is now permanently comatose, but she can still think like a lucid person. Her thoughts are mingled in the narrative with a doctor who has come to treat her, whose own life is changed forever. Very confusing and difficult to get intobut we’ll see what happens.

6.   Feminine Gospels by Carol Ann Duffy

 
I found this in the ‘Books for Free’ shop again and I love it! Carol Ann Duffy is my favourite poet, so to find one of her collections I haven’t read it makes my day. I cannot wait to dive into this lesser known collection.

7.  Love’s Work by Gillian Rose

 
I recently read a memoir called ‘The Diving Bell and the Butterfly’ about a man who suffers with Motor Neurone Disease and it was very moving. This is a short memoir/book of philosophy by Rose who was terminally ill when she wrote this. It is a book filled with unanswerable questions which she strives to answer with anecdotes about her life. Quite a poignant read, but one I look forward to.

8.   Time’s Arrow by Martin Amis

 
This is a previously Man Booker Prize shortlist. It tells the story of a Nazi doctor backwards, starting from when he is dying as an older man, to when he worked as a doctor and he was a child (I presume) It’s only short and quite interesting from the first few pages. I look forward to getting through this.

9.   Franny & Zooey by J.D. Salinger

 

I have never actually read anything by Salinger, but a lot of people on Booktube recommend that you start with Franny and Zooey and then move onto his more famous work of ‘Catcher in the Rye’. I found this in a charity shop and it looks so cute and snug that I thought I’d give a go.


So that is the beginning of this book haul. Part 2 will be coming soon! I hope you enjoyed, please let me know what books you bought this month or if you have any recommendations or reviews.

Happy Reading!

No comments