October Wrap-Up


 

I’ve had a really good reading month this October not so much in the quantity of books I read but the quality and diversity of books!

This month I read:

-      The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham - ****


A suspenseful, if a little slow, sci-fi thriller. This is the book that the movie The Village of the Damned is based on. I had an enjoyable time reading this it has the best opening chapter I’ve read in years! (I have said that so many times, but I don’t care! It was that good!) It could have done with clearer characters but apart from that it was a good read.

-      Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - *****

 
Well after having this on my shelf for a year I finally picked it up: It is amazing! I really enjoyed it for a full review check out my blogpost: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children Book Review

-      All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven - ****

 
Another book I’ve had on my shelf for a long time. I was finally in the mood to pick up this book and it was heart-breaking. I can’t say too much as I want to do a review, and I don’t want to spoil it, but oh god I cried on a train. I don’t cry on trains usuallygot to admit.

-      The Tinderbox by Hans Christian Anderson (Little Black Penguin Classic) - ***

 
I’ve been meaning to read some fairy-tales for a while now, can you believe that I haven’t actually read any of the originals know the stories, of course, but not actually read the original works of Hans Christian Anderson. Unfortunately I didn’t enjoy this collection as much as I wanted to. They are children stories surprising with some of the events that happen but the plots weren’t actually that good. Disappointing but still interesting.

-      An Eagle in the Snow by Michael Morpurgo - ****

 
I fancied a quick read so I picked up Michael Morpurgo’s new book from The Book People. It is a beautiful hardback edition, wonderfully illustrated and it is based on the real life events of a soldier in World War One, which makes it all the more interesting to me. The story itself is good, until the ending. I felt the end was a bit of a cop-out, I’d go so far as to say cliché, but to a child audience they probably wouldn’t feel that way. For a child I think it will go down a treat, for an adult it’s still a good read.

 
So they were the books I read this month. Like I said, quality over quantity. A really eclectic mix and one I really enjoyed! Can’t wait to read some more good books over next month:

I’m only 4 books away from reaching my target of reading 50 books this year!

Let me know what you read last month and if you have any recommendations for me to read next month!

Happy Reading!

No comments