Top Ten Christmas Books to read in 2015


 
I know that it is a little earlybut if you want to start reading Christmas books during Christmas now is the time to buy them.

So here is a list of Christmas Books that I think are worth reading, and I’m going to read, over Christmas!

1.   Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan


A sweet little contemporary book. Lily, a quirky teenager, leaves a book of dares in her favourite book store in New York, Dash, a clever yet slightly neglected New Yorker finds it. What ensues is a fun, twisting plot of romance and Christmas references.

2.   A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

 
A Christmas classic. Anyone that loves Scrooge or the Muppets Christmas Carol is going to want to read this short tale of Charles Dickens. I would also recommend it to anyone who loves the stories of Dickens but struggles to read his long-winded books.

3.   Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild

 
A child’s story, aimed at girls, but a sweet tale of three adopted sisters who get sent to Performing Arts school to make a living as their family faces economic struggles. Romances, dance, drama and family. A lovely little story.

4.   A Christmas Truce by Carol Ann Duffy

 
Carol Ann Duffy is my favourite poet and World War One is my favourite time period to read about, so combining the two makes me very happy. This little book is the perfect stocking-filler and tells the tale of the Christmas in the trenches in 1914 when the British and the Germans met on the trenches to play football, give gifts and swap photographs see last year’s Sainsbury’s advert for more details, or read the book. It’ll take a few minutes.

5.   Harry Potter & the Philosopher’s Stone by J. K. Rowling Illustrated Edition

 
So I haven’t actually seen the inside of this edition, it is my top Christmas Gift or the year or at least I hope my parents got my hinting But this is one of my favourite stories, and it has some Christmas themes with Harry having his first proper Christmas ever, getting gifts from the Weasley’s and Dumbledore. It just makes me happy.

6.   My True Love Gave me to Me Stories by many different authors

 
For anyone wanting a lot of Christmas in one book, this is the book for you. There are many tales written by some of the best contemporary and YA authors of the moment and each story is written with a different theme. The best thing about it is that you can flip through it in your leisure. There is no pressure to read it in order or read it completely. It is perfect for those ten minutes of peace as you wait for the extended family to arrive on Christmas day.

7.  The Greatest Gift by Philip Van Doren Stern

 
The short story which It’s A Wonderful Life is based on. I personally find the film out-dated, some people will hate me for that, but this little book might re-vitalise it for me. I think this is one to read snug in a blanket in the living room whilst mum is working on her computer, Dad is playing a game on Ipad and boyfriend is watching the footie.

8.   Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

 
For those of you that like family classics, this is the one to go for. Four sisters all wish for something over Christmas, when times are hard due to war, and each give up their precious wish to get something for their hard-working mother. A lot more happens besides Christmas in this book, but Christmas is the fundamental opening that makes you fall in love with this series of books.

9.   How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr Seuss

 
Every year I tell someone about this book. Every year I watch the movie and don’t read the book. Shame on me I love the story though and the rhymes (that I've heard) are precious and pure. He's the evil Grinch, but also wonderful at the same time. (Jim Carrey should have got the Oscar!)

And last but not least

10.  The Night Before Christmas

 
I literally read this every year, on Christmas Eve. It is tradition and it is wonderful. I love this book. The copy I own is the same one I’ve had all throughout my childhood and it never fails to bring back that childish-anticipation for Christmas morning. Even when I’m fat from too many rich-dinners, sick of my dysfunctional family and absolutely bored with Christmas music and decorations. By Christmas morning I am a child again.

 

So there are 10 recommendations for books to read this Christmas. I’m probably going to do a series of posts that are Christmas based along with posts that are not Christmas-sy as well but I love this time of year and it always ignites my passion for reading too!

Let me know what books you’ll be reading this Christmas.

Happy Reading!

 

 

2 comments

  1. You've put together a great Christmas TBR here Ellie :) I've got a few of those on my TBR as well. I'm especially excited to read the illustrated HP this December. I've already flipped through it and can't wait to rediscover the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Harry Potter series always reminds me of this time of year! The perfect autumn/winter reads :) I've heard lots about Ballet Shoes recently! It seems like everyone has been recommending it haha. Definitely a sign for me to give it a read :) x

    ReplyDelete