November Wrap-Up



November was a busy, yet successful, reading month for me. I wish I could have read more, I certainly have had a lot of books recommended to me this month, but I succeeded in finishing some books that I wanted to get read.

 
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

***
I had to read this book for my creative writing course. It is set in the 1666 in a small village in Derbyshire. They were forced to quarantine when the plague came to the village. The story takes it time to build but when it does there are a lot of harsh and dramatic moments that come out of nowhere and reminded more of Game of Thrones than a Philippa Gregory novel. But it was still exciting and a good read.


Lord of Rings: Return of the King Part 1 by J.R.R. Tolkien

****
I’ve been making my way slowly through the Lord of the Rings series and I was sad to say that this book has taken me six months after a brief break from university and travelling on trains which was when I generally read it but after I started commuting recently it was the perfect size book to take and read on the train with me. I will finish this series..! Eventually.

 
Love Poems by Carol Ann Duffy

****
I have slowly been collecting the poetry of Carol Ann Duffy over the last year or so and I came across this collection in a charity shop in London and read it on the train home. A lot of the poems were from her other collections which I had read before but it was still a little sweet book full of beautiful poems.

 
Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding

*****
I recently had the urge to re-read this novel after watching the movies and seeing some images of the next movie that will be coming out some time in the future. I forgot how easy it was to get through the diary with amusement and pleasure and I read it in a matter of hours. I do love the character of Bridget. Whilst the story is timeless the reference are a bit out-dated, but it still an enjoyable read.

 
Downton Abbey Scripts Season 3 by Julian Fellowes

****
I was suffering from Downton blues, now that the sixth and final series, has finished airing (at least until Christmas) so I decided to go ahead and read this monumental book of the scripts from season 3. The last episode is still awful to read, in the sense that it give that feeling of being punched in the gut every time, but I do like seeing the deleted and edited scenes and how/why Julian Fellows came up with the plotlines. I worthy read for any Downton Abbey fan.


So they were the books I read this month. I have also started to read:

-      Bridget Jones’s Diary: Edge of Reason I had to read the second book of the series, (I am skipping the 3rd, I really hated it)

-      Station Eleven by Emily St.John Mandel It’s about time I read this. I’ve had on my shelf for at least a year now and it is one of those books that people still like to talk about now, even after the hype has died down slightly.

 

Next is my Christmas TBR! I can’t wait to read some lovely little Christmas books!

Happy Reading.

3 comments

  1. Are you enjoying The Lord of the Rings? I've watched the films and really enjoyed them - but I'm hoping to start reading the books soon, too! :) The same goes for Bridget Jones's Diary, actually haha! I'm glad you enjoyed your November reads. I hope you're having a lovely December so far :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying Lord of the Rings, it's just very long...the films are still better in my opinion, but that's only because they translate the language for you and it is a lot easier to think of the characters when there are faces to their names - there are a lot of characters, all with similar names!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know you can create short urls with AdFly and get $$$ for every visitor to your shortened links.

    ReplyDelete