Charity Shop Book Haul


 
Today I went shopping, mostly within Charity shops, to buy new books. I got quite a few! Yippee!

1.   Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

 
I am going to see the stage production of this book in March, I believe, and yet I have absolutely no idea of the story. I know of the iconic image of Audrey Hepburn, in her black dress and pearls with a cigarette, but other than that I know nothing of the story of Holly Golightly. It is a fairly short book, and one I’ll probably read nearer the time to the stage production.

2.   Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

 
I know the story of Frankenstein, having seen the stage production and numerous film adaptions, but I’ve never read the book shameful! I found this edition for 50p and thought why not. It’s another fairly short read and one that I can add to my classics read list when I’m done. Win Win.

3.   Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey
 
I have um’d and er’d about this book for quite a while. I remember the reviews of it being very favourable when it came out, and I was intrigued by the premise of the little old lady, Maud, who has a bad memory and yet is the key to a 70 year old mystery. I’ve recently had to write a story from the perspective of an old woman with dementia and I’m intrigued to see how Healey has written the character of Maud

4.   The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge

 
I know the story of the Little White Horse, I think, from the movie ‘The Secrets of Moonacre’ which I actually quite enjoyed. I saw that this one for £1 and thought why not. I always like to improve my children’s literature.

5.   A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler

 
I was really pleased to find this little bargain for £1.50. This was one of the shortlisted books for the Man Booker Prize of 2015 and I quite like the sound of the story from the blurb it is a  20th century family novel with a lot of twists and turns it seems. I’m not really sure, but I’m looking forward to finding out!

6.   The Accidental by Ali Smith

 
I finally bought an Ali Smith novel! This is one I found for 50p and pretty much bought without looking at itso I’ve no idea of the story. I’ll read the blurb now, bare-withIt seems  that a family’s life is disturbed by a ‘beguiling stranger’ called Amber who turns up on their doorstep with gifts and sends each of the family members on the path of self-discovery. Interesting enough, and again, another fairly short read.

7.  The Earth hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan

 
I saw this on Amazon yesterday and was intrigued by it, so when I found it today I had to pick it up. The story revolves around a young girl called Gwenni, who is young, bookish which is a plus and energetic in a small Welsh town. A neighbour vanishes and she decides that she is going to be the one to find out why. Apparently it is heart-breaking and enjoyable, but the title got me the most. What a lovely sentiment.

8.   Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

 
I finally pick it up! I have the sequel and so have no excuse not to read it! I think I am going to start this one relatively soon so as to not lose the thread of the story, although there is a pretty catch-up in the opening covers of the pictures of the Miss Peregrine’s children by from the first book.

9.   The Public Library and other stories by Ali Smith

 
And then because one Ali Smith book was not enoughI went into Waterstones and this hardback was half-price and I thought why not. This is a collection of short stories set in libraries, which is a lovely premise in itself, but also a book that I can get through at my own pace. Sounds perfect for getting into Ali Smith’s writing.

They are all the books that I picked up today. Not too shabby at all. I’m looking forward to getting through some of these over the New Year, now I just need to find room on my bookshelf.

Righttime for an un-shelving blogpost I think!

Happy Reading!

 

2 comments

  1. Wow, you've got so many great titles in here. There are so many of these I've been meaning to read too. Ali Smith is one of the authors I really want to read in 2016. Hollow City was my favorite in the Miss P. series. I hope you enjoy it :) The Little White Horse and A Spool are both books that have been on my TBR since last year. Have fun with your new books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for not replying sooner - yeah! It was a great haul :) I've read the Public Library by Ali Smith now, it wasn't bad but I've heard her other books - How to Be Both & The Accidental - are better. I'm looking forwards to reading Hollow City! :)

      Delete