January Book Haul

Okayso I’ve realised why I am broke. It involves books. A lot of books. I’m proud to say that I’m reading like mad for me at the moment, but I’ve also bought a lot of discounted books too


1.   All I Know Now by Carrie Hope Fletcher

Carrie is one of the authors that my internship represent and I am slowly getting my way through their list very slowly I might add so I picked up Carrie’s book. It is very much a big-sister-tips manual and has a beautiful cover, it would make the perfect gift for teenage girls.

2.   Greyfriars Bobby by Eleanor Atkinson

As a child I had a small books about Greyfriars Bobby and it was such a sweet little book that when I saw it in a Charity shop I thought I would re-purchase it and read it again.

3.   The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I bit the bullet and finally purchased a copy of this little book. It is so small, and I need to read some more classics this year, surely I can get through it

4.   Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

I’ve made a slight mistake here I bought ‘Christmas’ at Cold Comfort Farm and I have never read ‘Cold Comfort Farm’. I don’t know if I can still get away with just reading this novel first or if I should purchase ‘Cold Comfort Farm’

5.   Short Stories from the 19th Century edited by David Stuart Davies

I’ve decided to read a lot more short-story collections this year and I found this book with several classics short stories by authors such as Charles Dickens, Bram Stoker and H.G.Wells, and thought it would be a perfect read to get through over the course of the year.


6.   Classic Short Stories

Keeping in the same vein as the book above I found another short story collection for 50p in my local charity shop. This book has a lot of the short stories I have studied in University over the last three years which is quite useful since I’m doing my final project this semester and now I can re-visit all of the styles my tutors taught me about.

7.  The Thinking Woman’s Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker

I don’t know much about this book, but it is seemingly massive, and has a really funny title and opening page. It is a fairy-tale re-telling of sorts, when Nora the protagonist a grad student and newly single goes through a portal at a friend’s wedding and becomes a beauty in a new world, only for the world to get darker and turn into a fairy-tale gone wrong. Sounds intriguing enough to me.

8.   The Looking Glass House by Vanessa Tait

I’ve mentioned this book before but I’m very much looking forward to reading this book sometime soon! It is such a beautiful book and the story of Alice Liddell really interests me.

9.   Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

I’m so happy I found this book lately. I’ve been wanting to read it for quite a while. This story revolves around a woman being sentenced to death in Northern Iceland in 1829. It is the story of the woman herself and I’ve heard some really good things about it.

10. The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

I read ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ a few years ago and I really enjoyed the book, so when I spotted this one today I thought I’d pick it up. This story is about a slave girl who is presented to a 10 year old girl as a gift. An appalling idea, with the story revolving around the relationship between the two girl.



11. Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig

I’ve known about this book for about a year but it seems to have blown up lately! It’s Waterstone’s Book club book and I finally purchased it today in Asda for £4. I’ve heard good and bad things about Matt Haig himself but I’m interested to read his book and see how good it is.

12. Weight by Jeanette Winterson

I’ve mentioned this book before, but the story really interests me. It is factored around the Greek Myth of Atlas who holds the weight of his world on his shoulders. One day Heracles comes to give him a day reprieve and the story is about what Atlas does on his day off. I’ve heard mainly good things.

13. The Portable Door by Tim Holt

Another previously mentioned story. A story set in a bank run by mythical creatures. It is the first of a series but a lot of people have said that the first book is readable as a stand-alone as well.



14. A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

My mum has been telling me to read this book for quite a few months and this week she bought it for me she really wants me to read it!

15. How to be Both by Ali Smith

I am so thrilled to have found this! I was umming and erring over whether to buy this or not and I found the beautiful hardback edition for £2.50 and grabbed it! I can’t wait to start this a lot of people have raved about it, so look out for reviews when I’m done.

16.All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Another find and another book checked off my wish-list. This is a historical fiction story set in Paris when the Nazis invade during the Second World War. I believe there is a familial aspect and it is a bit of a tear-jerker.

17. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

I read this book about three years ago and I remember being distinctly depressed afterwards and quickly passing the book along. I repurchased it as I am writing a story for my final piece at university and it has a similar vein of dystopian in it. I’ll have to see if I enjoy this book more or second time around or whether it will return to the charity shop to be loved by someone else.

So there are the books that I’ve got recently.

What books have you bought this month? Have you been controlled or splurging?

Happy Reading!

 

5 comments

  1. Wow that is one huge book haul haha! I think I only checked out five books this month at the library (and only read two of them). I've been in a bit of a book slump lately, but I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get out of it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no - I hope you get out of the slump. The best way to do that, I find, is to read really small books as you feel like you've achieved something at the end and it's a lot easier to start picking up big reads again :) I spent a little too much money this month, I think, but I don't mind! :) Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  2. I hope you’ll enjoy Burial Rites. I read it last year and absolutely loved it. The cover for The Looking Glass House looks a lot like the one for The Night Circus. I’ve never heard of the book before but these cover has me very intrigued! I also want to pick up How to be both and Weight at some point this year. I hope you’ll enjoy all your new books ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forwards to reading Burial Rites - I've seen it mentioned a lot but never went looking for it until recently and then I found it in the charity shop: LUCK! :) I was drawn to The Looking Glass House because of the similar cover as well, but the story sounds good. It's all about Alice's governess who stayed in the house the same time as Lewis Carroll came and met Alice and told his story of Alice in Wonderland :)

      Delete
  3. Did you know that you can create short urls with Shortest and receive money from every visit to your short urls.

    ReplyDelete