Top 5 Books Students Should Read!



Many of you probably know that I am a University student I am currently in my third (and final!) ) Year and I’ve been reading lot of fiction of late that I had just wished I had read in my first year, or the year before that.

A lot of these books are written for students or about students and I thought I would share them for any students out there interested in reading something a little more based to what they are doing in their lives currently.

Without further ado:

1.   Very Good Lives by J.K. Rowling

This is probably a very obvious book to readers of J.K. Rowling’s work, but it is a must-include in this post.

Very Good Lives is a transcribed version of a speech that Rowling made to Harvard Graduates in 2008. It is so inspiring it is unreal. Rowling is humorous, intellectual, full of advice and the book is a genuinely a nice little read. The illustrations within the book are also lovely.

Gorgeous Illustrations on each page!
This is one book that I am glad to have read in my final year rather than my first or second as it is reassures me that life after University isn’t going to be the end of the world.

2.   The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan

I recently found this and I am currently reading this collection of stories and non-fiction articles by Marina and it is one of the most heart-wrenching reads I think I’ve ever read.

 
Marina Keegan was an aspiring writer who wrote an essay called ‘The Opposite of Loneliness’ which gain 2 million hits worldwide. However, at the age of 23, just 5 days after Graduating from Yale University, she was killed in a car crash. This book is a collection of her works, put together by teachers, friends and families, and it shows all the makings of a talented writer developing.

For any student, particularly any Humanities student, this is definitely one to read to just remind you what you are capable of at your time at University. Also, the essay and the name-sake of the book is a very worthwhile read to any student!

3.   You is for University by Various Authors

Okay I’m slightly biased, my work is in this book. I have two poems and a short story within this collection of fiction/poems/non-fiction, but it is a really good collection and great for A-Level Students unsure about whether to take the plunge and go to University.

There are stories about having Asperger’s and at university, stories set in toilet cubicles, about getting distracted before a deadline or how to get revenge on your smelly housemate. There are amazing poems also, about the realities of university life in the simplest of terms, about the fear that comes with moving away and the coming end of university, about first dates and heartbreak. It’s all in their, along with a few CV tips, lists of things to bring and a University Bucket List!

What’s not to love!

4.   All I Know Now by Carrie Hope Fletcher

I recently picked this book up but I’m glad I did. It’s like having a big sister in a book, telling you it’ll be alright and giving you advice over every little thing that you’re bound to experience, in any little way, at university. From Sex, to personal image, moving house, dreams that you begin to doubt and just general thoughts.

It’s a read mainly for females, but males can read this book I think, just turn some of the gender roles around slightly. A nice little bible of information to have on your shelf and simply look pretty if nothing else.

Look at this Cover!
5.   The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

So technically this story is set in an American high school but the borders of the lessons within this book can be adjusted to university life as well. This book will reassure you about home-sicknesses, friendships, feeling different and out of place which you will do but only for a little while.

The characters of this story are the best, not to mention the 80s music references - get retro! It’s simply a good read.

(You is for University is currently at my uni house) but these are the other books!
These are the recommendations I would make to any prospective/current University student. I hope that you like them, let me know if you have book suggestions for me or have any questions.

Happy Reading!

 

No comments