Top Genres I Read in 2015 & Bookish Resolutions 2016



So when I was putting together a list of the books I read last year I decided to group them in terms of genre, to see what genres I read most and which genres I should really read more of.

Unsurprisingly, I read a lot of Young Adult fiction but I was surprised by how little I had read of other genres, and how much I had read of others

-      Young Adult: 16 Books

-      Horror: 1 Book

-      Adult Fantasy: 4 Books

-      Poetry: 8 Books (4 of them Carol Ann Duffy books)

-      Non-Fiction/Memoir: 3 Books

-      Adult Sci-Fi: 2 Books

-      Historical Fiction: 5 Books

-      Short-Stories: 1 Book

-      Classics: 2 Books

-      Plays/Screenplays: 4 Books

-      Children’s Fiction: 6 Books

-      Graphic Novels: 1 Book

-      Cotemporary: 2 Books

Total Genres Read: 13

 

If I had to have guessed what genre I read most in 2015 I would’ve said Young Adult, so I got that right, but I thought I had read more than 2 classics! That is shameful!

Bookish Resolution 1: Read more classics minimum of 5!

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of poetry I read and loved to be quite honest and this is something I want to keep up. However, I need to read poetry by other poets, not just Carol Ann Duffy

Bookish Resolution 2: Read a minimum of 10 poetry collections at least 5 must not be Carol Ann Duffy

Only reading 1 Graphic Novel is not a surprise to me, mostly because I’m much more a literary,  sink-your-teeth-into-a-story kind of reader rather than a visual reader, but I would like to try some more and see what kind of Graphic novel works for me and what doesn’t.

Bookish Resolution 3: Read a Graphic Novel

Now.lack of contemporary and short-stories. Normally I read a lot of short stories because of my Creative Writing degree but last year my modules mainly focused on the novel and so I read a lot of novels instead. I would like to get back to reading more short-stories, and I have started doing so already

Bookish Resolution 4: Read 5 short-story collections.

I was happily surprised with the inclusion of an Adult Sci-Fi and Horror section in the genres I’ve read, I rarely think I reach for these sort of books but to see that I have done, even without realising, I’m glad. I need to remain a diverse reader if I want to get to work in the book publishing sector so

Book Resolution 5: Read more diversely

These are the Bookish Resolutions I’m going to set from looking over the genres I had read this year.

Let me know what kind of genres you read last year and if you were pleasantly surprised, or shocked, as I was.

For a full list of the books I read, and their genres, please look below.

Happy Reading!


Full List of Genres & Books Read:

Young Adult Fiction:

-      We Were Liars by E.Lockhart

-      Moonchild by Ewa Zwonarz

-      The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkowski

-      The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

-      The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson

-      Harry Potter 1-7 J.K Rowling

-      Junk by Mervyn Burgess

-      The Year of the Rat by Clare Furness

-      Girls Under Pressure by Jacqueline Wilson

-      All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

Total: 16

 

Horror Fiction:

-      Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Total: 1

 

Adult Fantasy:

-      The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R.Tolkien

-      The Two Towers: Treason of Isengard by J.R.R.Tolkien

-      The Two Towers: The Ring goes East by J.R.R.Tolkien

-      Lord of the Rings: Return of the King pt 1

Total: 4

 

Poetry

-      Beautifully Torn by Roanne Legg

-      The World’s Wife by Carol Ann Duffy

-      The Christmas Truce by Carol Ann Duffy

-      Construction of Magic by Louis Alan Swartz

-      The Bees by Carol Ann Duffy

-      Blackbirds (Poetry Pamphlet) by Christina Dunhill

-      Love Poems by Carol Ann Duffy

-      100 Poems by Jen Campbell

Total: 8

 

Non-Fiction/Memoir

 

-      More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell

-      The C Word by Lisa Lynch

-      The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby

Total: 3

 

Adult Sci-Fi

-      The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham

-      Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel

Total: 2

 

Historical Fiction

-      Outlander by Diana Galbadon

-      Goodbye Mr Chips by James Hilton

-      The Outcast by Sadie Jones

-      Remembrance by Theresa Breslin

-      Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Total: 5

 

Short Stories

-      I Truly Lament by Mathias B. Freese

 

Total: 1

 

Classics

-      Northanger Abbey

-      The Tinder-Box by Hans Christian Anderson

Total: 2

 

Plays & Screenplays

-      Peter & Alice by John Logan

-      Birdsong (the play) by Rachel Wagstaff

-      A Taste of Honey by Shelagh Delaney

-      Downton Abbey Season 3 Scripts by Julian Fellowes

Total: 4

 

Children’s Fiction

-      The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

-      The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

-      The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

-      The Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

-      My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher

-      An Eagle in the Snow by Michael Morpurgo

Total: 6

 

Graphic Novels

-      Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony & Rodrigo Corral

Total: 1

 

Contemporary

-      Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding

-      Bridget Jones’s Diary: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding

Total:  2

 

 

6 comments

  1. I think this is a great idea for setting yourself goals and keeping track on what you have read during the year. I know I often focus on the quantity I read and not necessarily the quality by that I mean reading a wider range of books. I would like to read a lot more adult novels throughout the year and hope we can read more diversely together/successfully in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first year I've done it and I'm so glad as I've never had anything to look back on and properly look at my reading habits. I did focus a lot on quantity - I was trying to read 50 books and I managed 54 - it was only after that I thought looking at the genre would be interesting and it was! :) I hope we can to! x

      Delete
  2. I haven't completely sorted my read books in to genres - I read 279 books last year (including re-reads it was 389!) and it would take far too long. 38 of them were audio (more than I thought), 34 physical books and the rest were digital. 3 were children's books (Paddington - 2 on audio), 6 non-fiction (all audio) and 13 historical. Although one was Around the World in 80 Days, so I'm not sure if it counts as historical or not, as it was set at the time it was written. This was the first year I kept track of how many books I read, I knew it would be lots, but even I didn't expect to average more than 1 a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's a lot of books! Well done! :D I can imagine it would take a long time - but if you have a few minutes - maybe an hour in your case ;) - it can be quite fun to look and analyse what you've read! x

      Delete
  3. I can relate to quite a few of your goals because I'd also like to read more diversely and include more poetry in the mix. Well, actually I'd like to start reading poetry XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd hate poetry, after I sucked at my poetry module at uni, but actually now I know what I like and don't like and I like reading it. Sometimes hearing it can be better - I recommend 'Button Poetry' over on youtube - a number of poets read their poems/perform them and they can be really funny, emotive, moving, interesting. :)

      Delete