10 Books I've Read Because of Booktubes


 
I mention ‘Booktube’ a lot on my blog and I’m going to talk about it some more! Booktube is a youtube community, in which everyone makes videos about/discussing/hauling books! There is controversy, fun, drama and great suggestions, and it is strangely addictive.

I follow about 50 Booktube Channels and get most of my book recommendations from this community and I love it!

Today I thought I would list the books that I picked up because of Booktube, and don’t think I would have picked up if it wasn’t for Booktube. So without further ado:

1.      Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

This was one of my favourite reads of 2014/2015! I had never heard of Rainbow Rowell or read much contemporary before I started this blog and watched Booktube channels. This story was amazeballs! I loved it. It made me cry, smile, cheer and high five the air. The characters are amazing – a plus sized ginger girl and a Korean-Asian boy fall in love! – It’s such a rare gem and it’s beautiful. I loved it.

2.      Weird Things Customer’s Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell (Actually everything by Jen Campbell)
 
Now Jen Campbell is an actual booktuber, but she is also a poet and writer. I picked up this book after seeing it on various ‘Bookish Gift’ videos and I loved it. I picked up the sequel, and then I picked up her poetry collections and quite frankly they’re some of my favourite Non-Fiction/Poetry Pamphlets ever! They’re so well written and Jen is just an amazing orator when it comes to Books as well as a wonderful writer.

3.      The Night Circus by Erin Morgernstern
 
This was one of my favourite – if not my favourite! – book of 2015. It still gives my butterflies to think about this wonderful historical/fantasy/YA book! I heard about this quite a lot of Booktube, but mostly everyone was showing the cover as it is such a beautiful book! I am really, really happy I read this. I adore it.

4.      The Public Library by Ali Smith
I only read this book recently, it’s not my favourite book ever but it was good and I’m glad that Booktube has introduced me to Ali Smith’s writing. A lot of people rave about her and I have picked up two more her books to read in the next few weeks – How to Be Both & The Accidental – both of which are considered to be her best works. I can’t wait to find out if the reviews are true.

5.      Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
 
This is a series which I normally wouldn’t have touched with a barge pole, simply because it not a genre I would have ever read – Sci-Fi/Horror – but I thought it was really good! And I definitely need to pick up the sequel. This story is unique as it uses real-life photos to further the plot, but it was very well-done and incredibly compelling. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to read outside of their comfort zone.

6.      Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
 
I won’t go into too much detail on this book – I’ve just published a post on this book series – but this was one of the first books I heard about on Booktube. It was part of a controversy over Amazon for a while – just type in the book name in youtube to find out more – but I have really enjoyed this series. It’s one of my favourite story retellings ever.

7.      Cinder by Marissa Myer
 
Another series I was introduced to by Booktube. I don’t anyone who is not a part or an avid watcher of Booktube that has heard of this series, so I think it is very much a Booktube-Favourite. I did enjoy Cinder, but I don’t think it was ‘all-that’. I have the two sequels, which I hope to get to eventually, but they’re not as grabbing as I thought they would be. I don’t do well with ‘fairy-tale retellings’ it seems.

8.      Kissing the Witch by Emma Donoghue
 
Carrying on from the above post – I don’t do well with fairy-tale retellings. This is a short story collection of such tales with a lesbian theme throughout. It was a collection suggested by many, who wanted to spread Fairy-Tale love, but it wasn’t for me. However I’m glad I have read it and have explored more short-story collections over the years.

9.      We Were Liars by e.lockhart

 
I read this book early last year and I thought it was okay. It was quite hyped up a few years and divided Booktube. I was part of the ‘meh’ side of the divide. I saw the big twist coming within the book, but it was well-written and interesting story. This is a YA book for an audience who like mystery, friendships and a bit of romance. It supposed to be a bit of a weepy book, although I wasn’t that moved, unfortunately.

10. The Monsters Call by Patrick Ness & Siobhan Dowd
 
It is a universal fact that all Booktubers have talked about Patrick Ness at least one point. Okay…I may be exaggerating, but it seems that way. He has a lot of well-respected books but this was the one that seemed to have the most praise. I picked it up and devoured it. It’s a short story but packs a punch. Incredibly moving, beautifully written and fascinatingly imaginative. I will cherish this novel.

There are 10 books that I have read because of Booktube. There are many more! And I will continue with these kinds of post if that is something you enjoy.

Let me know if you enjoy Booktube as much as I do, or think I should check out particular channels!

Happy Reading!

1 comment

  1. Happily learning about book tubes at this very moment, thanks to your article. :)

    ReplyDelete