Authors Who I have Read More Than 1 Work from


I was looking at my list of books I have read the other day and realised that I don’t often read more than one book by an author counting a book series as 1 book I rarely read more than one book by an author, even though most authors have produced bodies of work.

I decided to list the authors whose work I have read more than one version of just to see if there is a reason why I read these works from these authors and not from others.

1.   J.K. Rowling

If I’m counting Harry Potter as one collection of work I have read only one other book by Rowling and that is ‘Very Good Lives’ which I read recently. I’ve never had any inclination to pick up ‘The Casual Vacancy’ or ‘The Silkworm’ and I think that is part due to my love of Harry Potter and my desire to keep Rowling as a children’s author. If she were to publish another children’s story or series I might read some more of her work.

2.   Emma Donoghue

I read ‘Room’ a while ago but recently picked up ‘Kissing the Witch’ and I think in part that is why I’ve chosen to write this post as I wouldn’t have gone out of my way to pick up another of Emma Donoghue’s work based on my liking of ‘Room’,  it was pure coincidence that I wanted to read some fairytale re-tellings and this one caught my eye. I haven’t heard great things about her other works so I’ll probably only ever read these two of her works.

3.   Jen Campbell

Jen Campbell, I think, is someone that I will read quite a lot of her. I have read the two ‘Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops’ books and her recent collection of ‘100 Poems’ which I loved, and I want to get ‘The Bookshop Book’ and indeed her collection of poems called ‘The Hungry Ghost Festival’. If she were to publish a work of fiction, which I believe is currently out on submission, I would definitely go and pick that up as I have really enjoyed her work and also her Booktube channel.

4.   Jane Austen

I’m glad that I’ve got at least one classic author on this list! I have read ‘Mansfield Park’, ‘Sense & Sensibility’ & ‘Northanger Abbey’ by Jane Austen. I did get halfway through ‘Emma’ a few years ago but stupidly leant my book out to someone whilst I was reading it and lost interest in it. I would like to pick it up again eventually though. I read Austen because I love the stories, not because I love the writing I think although I did really enjoy Northanger Abbey also one of my bucket list achievements comes down to reading all of Austen’s published works.

5.   Annabel Pitcher

This is an odd one. I don’t actually like Annabel Pitcher’s books I know that to some that is sacrilege but the reason I have read two is because I read ‘Ketchup Clouds’ and really disliked it but everyone told me that ‘My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece’ was incredible and made up for any dislike, but I actually didn’t enjoy that book either. I do have her latest book which is ‘Silence is Goldfish’ and I’m waiting for the mood to take me to give it a chance again, but since I disliked the first two so heartily that might be a while.

6.   Philippa Gregory
 

It is strange to think that I first read Philippa Gregory when I was about 12 years old. I read ‘The Other Boleyn Girl’ first, mainly out of interest after I started studying the Tudors, and got hooked on historical fiction and the world that Gregory made so clearly for me. I read ‘The Queens Fool’ and ‘The Virgin Lover’ in quick succession and this is actually makes up a few of the books from the Tudor Court Series, but later I read the first four books in the Cousins War Series: ‘The Lady of the Rivers’. ‘The White Queen’, ‘The Red Queen’ & ‘The Kingmakers Daughter’. I do want to carry on with this series as soon as I can prise the books from my mother’s bookshelf.

7.  Neil Gaiman

Another surprise: I’ve discovered I don’t like Gaiman’s writing I like his stories, but not the actual writing I find that his writing is haphazard, sometimes careless and I know people will think ‘how can that be when he’s a published writer’ but that is the way I feel about it. I love Stardust the movie, and I like the idea of the other book I read of his: The Sleeper and the Spindle but the actual writing is pedantic to me and I just didn’t enjoy reading his work.

8.   J.R.R. Tolkien

Okay, so this one is slightly cheeky because the books I have read from Tolkien are the obvious: The Lord of the Rings series & the Hobbit. I am counting them as 2 different book sets even though they are part of the same world and the Hobbit is a prequel of LOTR is a sequel (which way did they come round) but the hobbit is aimed at children and is much simpler in story than the whole series of LOTR which is set for adults and is a helluva lot longer! I must admit I didn’t enjoy The Hobbit I know this is sacrilege but I preferred the movies (waits for rotten fruit & veg to be thrown) but there we go. I like the books of LOTR again not sure which I favour more book vs movie wish but still I think Tolkien is a magnificent world-creator.

9.   Carol Ann Duffy

My favourite poet! I have read: The Worlds Wife, Love Poems, The Christmas Truce & The Bees by Duffy and I am still growing my collection of works I have and need to read Jubilee Lines and Feminine Gospels and then whatever else she has done! There is something simplistic yet impressive about her work which I enjoy. I would say that The World’s Wife is my favourite collection of hers though. Mostly for comic and ingenious reasons.

10. William Shakespeare

I am proud I can add Shakespeare to my list. I love his work I have performed in several of his plays, written essays on him for GCSE and A Level and worked with the Royal Shakespeare Company for three years! I love Shakespeare out of his works though I have read through: Othello, Macbeth, Midsummer Night’s Dream, Romeo & Juliet and The Tempest. Othello is the most interestingly written, in my opinion, but Midsummer Night’s Dream is my absolute favourite! Love it! I really want to read Much Ado About Nothing next.

11. Noel Streatfeild

I have read Ballet Shoes and a series of books that my mum gave to me which which were hers when she was a child The Gemma Series. I doubt many people have even heard of this series as it is dated now, but I still really like it. Gemma is a child film star, who is ungraciously sent to live with her Aunt and Uncle in England she is very unhappy. She hates it at first, as she’s never been to school, spent most of her time in America and dislikes her three young cousins, but she brings out their acting, dancing and singing abilities and soon the whole family are performing wonders. Very similar to Ballet Shoes, but goes out across 4 books and is set mainly around Gemma herself. A really nice series if you can get your hands on it.

So there are the authors whom I have read more than one book of not in a series if I were to include authors I have read more than one book, including series, there would be a lot more. I tend to read one standalone from one author and no more it seems.

I might try and improve on this since everyone should always have a second chance and also have something to debate with.

 

 

 

 

 
 

1 comment

  1. I’ve heard J.K. Rowling is writing a new children book so that’s something to look forward to! I’ve been thinking about starting her Cormoran Strike series but I’m yet to make up my mind on that. I’ve read only Kissing the Witch by Emma Donoghue and really enjoyed it. I’ve yet to watch or read The Room but I’m hoping to do both very soon. Jen Campbell is one of my favorite YouTubers! I haven’t read anything by her yet although I do own some of her books. Which reminds me that I really need to read those!


    ReplyDelete