Februrary Wrap Up


 
It is that time of year again to sum up what I have read in the month. This month – in 29 days – I have read 6 books. I’m quite happy with that!

I am carrying over two books to next month and they are both eBooks, and will take me ages to get through, as I struggle to read eBooks. Those books are:

-         A Wild Swan by Michael Cunningham

-         Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan

But without further ado, here are the books that I read in February:

The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige – 3 Stars

&

Dorothy Must Die Stories Vol. 1-3 by Danielle Paige– 3 Stars

I’ve done a full review on the Dorothy Must Die series which I will link here, but so far I’ve really enjoyed it. I only gave these two books 3 stars as the pacing was almost irritating and I think there were some plot holes within the story but that didn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it. I am looking forward to reading The Yellow Brick Wars and the next set of Dorothy Must Die Stories when they’re released in the next coming weeks, so that’s a sign of an enjoyable series.

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson – 5 Stars

 
This book has been on my wish list since before I started Book blogging. Probably from the moment I first watched the movie. It was the first movie to make me cry, ever, and I was so embarrassed by it but also so moved. I was expecting to find a lot of changes between the book and the film and to be disappointed because the movie had such an effect on me, but nope. The book was just as good, if not better, at creating the scene and solidifying the relationship between Jesse and Leslie. Such a beautiful young friendship between a boy and a girl, with such a tragic end. It still plays on my mind!

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood – 3 Stars

 
I am currently writing a dystopian short story for my final piece at university, and I wanted to read this book, and several others, of that genre to inspire me in the art of writing realism and dystopian. This book is often described as a modern classic and I can understand why because of the story but I must admit to finding it a bit dull and lacklustre in places. There is never a real understanding of why all of these things are happening, but the structure of the piece reminded me a lot of Station Eleven with the constant flipping over time and space. The protagonist remains the narrator throughout but I actually found her quite annoying. Still well-written and an important book but not one I’d think I’d read again.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald – 4 Stars

 
Reader…I read it. I actually read this little novella! My friends convinced me to watch the movie – which in hindsight I wished I hadn’t done before reading the book – but because I did see the movie and I learnt about the characters – I really enjoyed Leonardo DiCaprio’s personification of Gatsby – I felt inclined to read the book, so I did.

It’s another one of those classics where I understand why it is, there are a lot of strong themes and moral codes, but I think what really makes it a classic is the characterisations that F. Scott Fitzgerald was able to write in such a short piece of writing. You can smell Gatsby’s expensive cologne, see Daisy’s charm dripping off the page and feel the sarcastic vulnerability of Jordan Baker in all of his words. It was a really fascinating read.

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd – 5 Stars

 
This was a re-read, and quite frankly it is one of my favourite books. Ever. The story is set in 1964 South Carolina, in the Boatwright sister’s home. Lily Owens, a white 14 year old girl, runs away with her black maid in search of answers to who her mother was, why she ‘left’ her as her father claims, and if Lily is worthy of forgiveness for shooting her mother dead. It is a really beautiful story filled with such oozing love it is hard not to full in love with the characters. Set in a time of great racial turmoil in America, Sue Monk Kidd effortlessly weaves together a story of family, race, friendship and religion into a 300 page story that I just love. It’s beautiful.

They are all of the books that I read this month and I enjoyed pretty much all of them. I am looking forward to getting through some more next month, maybe even reading my first proper eBook and another Ali Smith…we’ll see. Until then…

Happy Reading!

2 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really want to read Bridge to Terabithia at some point. I loved the movie as a kid and must have watched it over 10 times with my sister. I was supposed to read The Handmaid’s Tale last year but ended up not picking it up. I’m not sure if it’s my type of book to be honest. I still plan to read it at some point but we’ll see XD.

    ReplyDelete