If my Bookcase was on Fire...


 

I went home this weekend and rearranged my bookshelves again and I found myself wondering:

What books would I save if my bookcase was on fire and I had the magic ability to save one from each genre?

Firstly, my mind works in weird ways to keep me entertained, and secondly I thought that this might be an interesting blogpostso here we are.

It was quite difficult for me to choose which books to save from some genres and but for others it was fairly easy, in the end here I managed to make a selection so here is a list of the books I chose to save, why I chose them and the genres from which I categorised them:

Poetry: 100 Poems by Jen Campbell (2015)

Jen released this pamphlet of poems a few months back after completing a 48 hours challenge in which she had to write 100 poems for charity. For someone who clearly didn’t have a lot of time to write or edit, some of these poems are simply beautiful and I love them! Also, this is a Limited Edition pamphlet and it is signed. That is why I would save that one.

Non-Fiction: Very Good Lives by J.K. Rowling

Since I purchased and read this book it has already had a profound effect on my life and I find it so inspirational and lovely that I would definitely save it, if my bookcase went up in flames. It would keep my spirits up after watching all my other much-loved books get destroyed!

Short Story Collection: The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan

This books technically fits within both the Short-Story & the Non-Fiction category, but I included in this genre specifically because there are 9 short stories and 9 I loved them. I found the whole book to be poignant, well written and incredibly raw with talent. Some of the ideas that Marina had were really good and I really enjoyed her writing, I definitely would save this collection.

Historical: Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

No surprise here. This is my favourite book, set in my favourite historical period: World War One, and is more than just a War story or a romance story or a tragedy it is a million different, beautiful, heart-wrenching things and I have three copies of itso I think that that shows that I am going to save at least one!

Young Adult: Perks of a Wallflower

Choosing a YA book was difficult, I have a load and like to read them but I haven’t read a YA book in a while that made me go: Wow! I chose this book because I read it recently and there is something within it that sparkles with raw honesty and true Young Adult themes which don’t leave me depressed, sick-of-love or ‘meh’. Also the characters are really lovely within this story.

Fantasy: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Without a doubt I would have to save this book! I still maintain that it is in fact magic as whenever I pick it up to move it on my shelf my stomach starts fluttering with excitement and my imagination is sparked. I adore this book! It’s wonderful has a great story, beautiful imagery, historical elements and amazing characters! Cannot be lost in fire!

Book Series: Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

This was a givenI mean: come on! Like I was going to let my Harry Potter series burn after lovingly making a shrine to it! And by shrine I mean: simple over-load of all-things Harry Potter, including a chocolate frog, marauders maps, illustrated editions, wands, film books etc

Classic: Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

I chose to save this classic over all of the others because it is less well-known compared to books like Jane Eyre or Pride & Prejudice, yet, I feel, flows better and has more of a storyline to it. The character of Mrs De Winter is haunted by her husband’s first wife, (not physically but mentally). There is intrigue, romance, mystery and murder and it’s very cleverly written with the best opening line ever: ‘Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.’

Those were the books that I would choose to save if my bookcase was on fire.

Not a bad haul and it would certainly keep me interested until I could purchase another bookcase and decorate it with a hundred new books!

What books would you save if you had to?

Happy Reading!

 

 

 


1 comment

  1. Wow, I love your collection of HP books! I have trouble keeping track of all the different covers but are those the new scholastic set and a British set?

    Choosing what books I'd save from my burning bookcase is a toughy. I have two HP book sets- one that's for writing in the margins and that's DEFINITELY the set I'd have to save.

    Other than that, Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott and Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf :D Great question!

    ReplyDelete