My Classics TBR


 
I realised, upon looking at my 2015 reading list, that I read only one classic last year. That is shameful, at least to me. So this year I've to remedy this!

I have chosen 5 classic books that I would like to get to in 2016. Hopefully I'll end up reading more, but here are the five that I have added to my To-Be-Read list:


1.      The Great Gatsby by F. Scott-Fitzgerald

 

The greatest American novel of all time, according to most websites. I have never had much interest in this novel, but on Valentine’s Day a few friends of mine made me watch the movie and it actually wasn’t that bad. Since the book is only about 160 pages long it’s a really short read, and since seeing the movie I’m actually quite intrigued to read the story…

2.      Emma by Jane Austen

 
I started this book about 3 years ago and got halfway through it before I (stupidly) leant it to friend and I lost interest. Why did I lend a book halfway through reading it? I don’t know! But still, I remember enjoying up until that point – falling in love with Mr Knightley 100% - so I would like to finish that book this year!

3.      Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken

 
This is a children’s classic, and the first book in a series of 11, I believe. It’s quite a short read, which is always reassuring on these kinds of TBR’s, and I like the idea of the story. It is set in a fictional early-19th century era and a pack of wolves, recently emigrated from Russia to Britain, are terrorising the rural countryside. I don’t know much more than that but some people have described it to me as a Dickensian tale of villainy. That sounds quite appealing!

4.      Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

I am not kidding when I say: at least one person reads this book on every train journey in Britain! I recently found the vintage classic, red-spine edition, of this  book and scooped it up just to see what all the fuss is about! I’ll be getting to this soon I feel. Most likely when I am on a train.

5.      Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

 
I have never read Catcher in the Rye, and I think it is so hyped that I don’t think I’ll ever read it…so, I’m going to attempt to get into Salinger’s writing through another book: Franny and Zooey. I have had this book for a while, again it is quite short book but supposedly a good read – and it is pink! – Hopefully I'll enjoy it!

So there are 5 classics I would like to get to this year. Hopefully I’ll read more classics on top of these, but we’ll see. It is only February so I’ve got time…just wait until October when I still haven’t read any of these…hmm…We’ll see.

Happy Reading!


No comments