Favourite Book Quotes #2


 
I love quotes! I have them dotted around my room; they’re great for motivation, for making you sound intelligent and they are great bedroom decorations. I love quotes!

Now everyone – should – have at least one quote that they know by heart. My best friend and I often end up quoting from Shakespeare…because we’re cool like that. But I have many favourite quotes.

So here are a few of my favourites:

(I did do a Favourite Book Quotes Blogpost about a year ago, there are some obvious quotes in that post if you think I’m missing some from here. Feel free to check it out!)

1.     Death, taxes and childbirth! There is never a convenient time for any of them!”

by Scarlet O’Hara from Gone With The Wind.

 
My favourite movie and a huge book which I read aged 16 (PRIDE!) I love Scarlet O’Hara she is a cow, (completely and utterly horrible) but also an amazingly strong woman! I love her. There are a hold load of quotes from her I could use, but this one tickled me today.

2.      You’re a wizard Harry.

By Hagrid from Harry Potter & The Philosopher’s Stone

This is now a constant meme on my Facebook timeline, I swear. But it sums up my childhood. I remember hearing those words in the cinema aged 6 and then reading them for the first time aged 15! Same emotions then and now!

3.     You said I killed you – haunt me, then! ... Be with me always – take any form – drive me! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!”

by Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights

I have never been able to finished Wuthering Heights but there is no denying that some of the imagery and some of the quotes within it, particularly about Heathcliff and Cathy, are stunning. I love this and the one about the rocks the most.

4.      A thing of beauty is a joy forever: it’s loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness, but still will keep a bower quiet for us full of sweet dreams, health and quiet breathing.

By John Keats from Endymion

 
This is a quote from Keat’s poem Endymion. Keats is my favourite poet and Endymion is my favourite poem of his – the opening is just gorgeous.

5.      How do you know I’m mad’ asked Alice, ‘You must be or you wouldn’t have come here’

By Alice and the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

 
No list would be complete without a quote from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. My bestie got me this quote for Christmas – I still need to frame it! – but I love it. Very suitable and also very interpretative.

6.      If I loved you less I might be able to talk about it more.

By Mr Knightley from Emma

 
Screw Mr Darcy, or rather not, and go for Mr Knightley. He might be argumentative and opinionated but it would be so boring otherwise. He and Emma’s pairing in Emma is by far the most amusing, natural and lovely of all of Austen’s books in my opinion.

7.      Never say goodbye, because goodbye means going away, and going away means forgetting

By Peter from Peter Pan

 
Such a sad quote, but also beautiful. I always wanted to go to Neverland as a child – I’ve missed that opportunity now I’m 20 – but Peter was quite philosophical, if petulant, for a child.

8.     When you play the game of thrones you win or you die, there is no middle ground.

By Cersei Lannister from Game of Thrones #1

 
Brr! Cersei is such a cold-hearted, manipulative, *beep* of epic proportions, but she has a point.

9.      Do you know there are 32 names for ‘love’ in one of the eskimo languages? And we just have one. We’re so limited.

By August Boatwright from The Secret Life of Bees

This book is a mine-field of beautiful quotes about love, life and living and it was hard to single one out, but this one just sticks with me. I had never realised how little we can describe our love for something. I love chocolate as much as I love my parents, and I love the colour yellow as much as I love Christmas…there should be another word.

10. Now I am dead, now I am fled. My soul is in the sky. Tongue, lose thy light. Moon take thy flight. Now die, die, die.

By Bottom from Midsummer’s Night Dream

Favourite Shakespeare play ever and favourite quote from it – which is a shame when there are so many great quotes. But this quote is special as it is the one I can say back and forth with my best friend, in unison at any given moment. I like quotes like that.

So there are 10 of my favourite quotes. Please do check out my other blogpost – from way earlier in my blogging days – and let me know if you have any favourite quotes of your own.

These are only a small selection after all.

Happy Reading!

 

 

 

 

 

No comments