March Book Haul


 
I’ve been a bit slow on the blogging front this month – sorry about that – but this is the perfect blogpost to jump right back in.

I’ve not been too bad this month – all of the books I have bought have been from charity shops and cost £3 or less. Bargain-book month because I am broke…I’m a student, I’m used to it.

So without further ado:

Brooklyn

by Colm Tóibín

I’ve been wanting to read this since I first saw the trailer for the movie. I didn’t get a chance to see the movie and I think I would like to read the book before I see the film, as the film is supposedly very good. I found this book for £3, in hardback in a lovely little store and was so happy! The story revolves around an Irish girl who moves away from her family to Brooklyn for work and whilst there she falls in love with an Italian immigrant, but when a family tragedy brings her back to Ireland she meets a lovely Irish man…who will she choose?

Burial Rites

by Hannah Kent

 
I already own this book – and I think I showed it in a previous book haul, but I recently found it in hardback with black edged papers and I couldn’t help myself. I’ve yet to read it but it is definitely on my to-be-read-soon list. This is the fictionalised version of the last woman to be hung in Iceland – I believe? It sounds great, right up my alley.

Mrs Dalloway

by Virginia Woolf

 
I have never read any Viriginia Woolf and I’ve never owned anything by her either. But I found this pristine vintage red-spine edition and I had to grab it. I know the rough story, it’s about a woman who is planning a party and over the course of the short book she questions her mortality…or something like that. Its Virginia Woolf…it’s bound to focus on something depressive/mortality based.

The First Bad Man

by Miranda July

 
I know nothing of this book, and the cover hardly gives anything away. But I’ve heard great things about Miranda July and her writing. It’s supposed to be of good literary merit so I thought I’d give her a go, although I have no idea when I’ll get to reading this.

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit

by Judith Kerr
 
This is a modern children’s classic, a fictional re-telling of Judith Kerr’s own escape from Nazi Germany, as a Jew, and a child’s mental thoughts towards Nazi’s and the situation within the war. I have little idea beyond that but a lot of people have read it and it comes highly recommended to me. As a historical fiction/children’s classic fan – see previous reviews of the Chronicles of Narnia and the Gemma Series to learn more.

The Light Between Oceans

by M.L. Stedman


I mainly want to read this book because I saw the movie trailer and it completely peaked my interests, not to mention the music and cinematography being stunning. This tells the tale of a couple who live on an Island maintain the lighthouse in the early 1900s. A dead man and a baby wash up and the couple adopt her, as they have had child-bearing problems over the years. Every 3 or 4 years they go to the mainland and when they go after adopting child they run into the child’s biological mother who is still heavily mourning the death of her husband and child. It sounds like a harrowing, quandary novel. One which I’m sure will leave me with a lot of opinions and arguments…

Soundless

by Richelle Mead


This book was being hyped over Booktube a lot recently, but a lot of the reviews were mixed and not so impressive. It is only a short stand-alone book and I kind of want to judge for myself. Although the premise is also intriguing and I want to see how Mead writes it. In a village where there is no sound or speech, one girl suddenly starts to develop hearing abilities but this is somehow dangerous to her living in the village…or something like that.

The Looking Glass Wars

by Frank Beddor

 
This was totally an impulse buy. After reading the Dorothy Must Die series recently and a lot of fairy-tale retellings I was interested to see a re-telling of the Wonderland books. I’ve no idea of the story and I think the cover is rather cheaply made but I know that this is a series and it has had some good reviews. So we’ll see.

The Amateur Marriage

by Anne Tyler
 

I’ve been wanting to pick up more Anne Tyler ever since I got the Spool of Blue Thread – although I haven’t read that one yet either – I found this book, picked up and started reading the first few pages and I was hooked by it. But I put it down in favour of finishing the books I’m currently reading. This story focuses on a man and a woman who marry young and quickly when WW2 occurs. When they come back and have to place house together things aren’t as romantic as it first seemed.

You

by Caroline Kepnes

 
I’ve heard about this book for years. Its set from the perspective of a stalker as he stalks a woman (predator vs prey kind of gist) it sounds creepy and intriguing and another book that I’ve heard mixed things from. Some find the concept interesting – if a little dark – whereas others say that it is completely wrong. Who knows.

So there we are. A great selection this month and I can’t wait to start reading some of these! Let me know if you have read any, or want to read any.

Happy Reading!

2 comments

  1. I read Burial Rites two years ago I think and absolutely loved it! It was very atmospheric and beautifully written. I also want to read Brooklyn at some point, hopefully before I watch the movie. This edition of Mrs Dalloway is sooo pretty <3 I enjoyed the book and although I’ve yet to read more of Virginia Woolf’s books, Mrs Dalloway really made me fall in love with her writing. I’m currently in the middle of The Looking Glass Wars and although I think the book could have used a little more complexity, I have to admit that I’m really enjoying it. I’ve just been in a mood to read retellings lately and this book is an excellent one. I hope you’ll also enjoy it ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Virginia Woolf but struggled to get into Mrs Dalloway the first two times I read it because I found the whole stream of consciousness thing difficult to follow. I don't think I properly experienced the full force of Mrs Dalloway until I saw it performed live in Edinburgh. Then when I picked up the book again a year later it was like a lightbulb going off in my head. However, I'd say To The Lighthouse is my favourite Woolf book of the few that I've read so far.

    www.pursuingbears.com

    ReplyDelete