May Book Haul // Part 1


Hi!

I know I’ve been lacking in posts over the last few weeks that is due to:

-         Me finishing University! I had two exams, a lot of revision and last-minute goodbyes to deal with.

-         Work Placements! I did a two-week work experience at Transworld, an imprint of Penguin Random House, which explains the number of books I have recently got…but also why I had no time to blog

-         I’ve moved home and started some part-time work.

So I’ve been busy…but my-god I’ve got a lot of books! Most of which were given to me from various different people!

I am splitting this month’s book haul into two – I have that many! – so without further ado lets begin!

1.     A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

This book is a very hit and miss book, and one hell of a stonker, but I was lucky enough to find it in one of the nearby charity shops to my office for a bargain! This book – revolving around four young men in New York – was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize last year, nominated for a book-bafta recently and is currently shortlisted for the Bailey’s Book Prize. It’s got a lot of accolades and this intrigues me.

2.     Crisis by Frank Gardner
I was lucky enough to meet Frank Gardner whilst at work – a very nice gentleman – and he signed a copy for me. Crisis is Frank's debut novel and the first part of a trilogy about a British Intelligence officer. Not something I would usually read but my goal for this year was too be diverse in my reading choices so…

3.     Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johanssen

There’s been a lot of talk about this book, and indeed the series, on Booktube and on various blogs and I thought it was about time I read it. I've got this lovely hardback edition and I can't to get into it. The story is about a young girl who, unknowingly, is a princess – I've been told it's not as cliché as it sounds – she has been brought up outside of her kingdom for her own protection, but when she comes off age she has to return and rule. No pressure then.

4.     Crooked Heart by Lissa Edwards
 
Crooked heart is set during World War Two. The protagonist is a 10 year boy who is evacuated from London during the Blitz and is relocated to live with a woman called Vee who is drowning in debts. With the help of the young boy they set up a sort of black-market business (from what I can tell) and dangerous things happen on the way. Peaked my interest.

5.     The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

This is tipped to be the next big thriller – and from the team that propelled The Girl on a Train into international-acclaim, I don’t doubt it’ll be successful – I have wrapped this book so many times (yes wrapped, as in Christmas present wrapped) but it still interests me, and thrillers rarely do. A new set of parents decide to leave their baby girl asleep in her cot at home whilst they attend a dinner party next door. They keep the baby monitor with them and check on her every half hour and think it will alright. Until it’s not. They return after half an hour and their baby daughter has gone. Cue the massive man-hunt, a twisting tale and a lot of other thriller-ish aspects.

6.     African Solo by Mark Beaumont

Another book I received from the author themselves. Mark Beaumont is a record-achieving cyclist who holds the Guinness world record for travelling around America and the world, and now Africa, on a bike in the quickest time. He cycled from the top of Africa to the bottom in 41 days! Dude! He’s also very friendly and very Scottish and has a really good talent for drawing little bicycles.

7.     The Virago Book of Fairy Tales edited by Angela Carter

I saw this in a charity shop and decided to pick it up. I have a very temperamental feeling towards fairy tales – as you’ll have noticed if you read any of my book reviews over the early months of the year – but I’ve never tried reading originals from  other countries. This collection holds a mass amount of fairy tales from Russia to Italy to Britain to France. And the titles in which they’re collected intrigue me: Good Girls and Where it gets them for example…hmm.

8.     Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld

First off ‘Curtis’ is a female – I know, I was confused too – this is the fourth book in a set of Jane Austen re-tellings. So far Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey and Emma have been re-written by other authors, all under their original title, this is the re-telling of Pride and Prejudice (and the title has been changed). Whilst the other three books have been pretty much slated by the readers this book has peaked some pretty big lists of late, mostly: Compulsory Summer Reading. It’s look fun – a modern re-telling of Pride and Prejudice, and maybe my lack of interest in the original will help me to keep an open mind. We’ll see.

9.     Coraline by Neil Gaiman

I remember saying I would pick this book up years ago…well I finally have. I hated the film of Coraline – dead creepy! – but I’ve found that a lot of Neil Gaiman TV/Film Adaptions are nothing like the book. I hope that is the case this time, and maybe I’ll actually like some of Gaiman’s work.

10.                        Daisy in Chains by Sharon Bolton

Sharon Bolton is an acclaimed writer of thriller books but this book is said to be the one to put her on the map – so watch out! – the cover is gorgeous and the premise interesting: a charming, handsome man is in prison for the murder of three young women, but he gets daily fan mail. A female lawyer likes to take on cases of prisoners who she thinks she can get out of jail and this prisoner wants her to get him out. She thinks that she’ll be able to resist his charm…but will she. He loves me…he loves me not.

So there are just a small handful of the books that I have got over the last 25 days. I will be doing a Part 2 of my May haul tomorrow so keep an eye out for that!
Until then…

Happy Reading!


No comments