May Book Haul // Part 2


 

Part 2! So many books…

I’m going to jump straight into this second part as I appear to have even more books than I first thought!

1.     The Yellow Brick War by Danielle Paige

I’ve been really loving the ‘Dorothy Must Die’ series by Danielle Paige and this is the latest instalment. I thought it was the last one of the series but it is tiny and by the sound of the review it is not…I’m looking forwards to reading this but I want to get through re-reading Harry Potter first then I’m going to catch up with this series.

2.     The Ballroom by Anna Hope

This was another book I’ve got whilst working at Transworld. It is set in 1911 and involves two characters meeting at an insane asylum, I’m currently reaching both topics for a new project I’m working on so I can’t wait to read this.

3.     Wake by Anna Hope

Another book by Hope and another historical novel, but set after the First World War rather than before. Other than that I know nothing, but since the 1910s is my favourite era to read about I think I am going to like Anna Hope’s novels.

4.     The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham

I’ve read this novel before – it is a complicated classic about a couple who are badly suited for one another yet and punish each other for their inadequacies, in the worst ways. It’s really interesting and I love the relationships, even though it is not a love story by any means, but there is a really fascinating fragility and honesty about the relationship that is gripping. One of my favourites.

5.     The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories by Tim Burton

I saw this collection and had to buy it. Whilst the book is full of stories – some of them only four lines long, it is also a prose poetry book. With Burton’s own illustrations and odd characters it embodies the director/writers quirkiness and unique imagination.

6.     Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell

I have previously owned this book and got rid of it, for reason or another. I love the BBC series, well-worth watching if you haven’t seen it yet, but I found this book in a gorgeous second-hand shop in the Penguin English Library collection, a set of books with beautiful illustrations on the cover. I collect them so I thought: why not!

7.     A Country Road, a tree by Jo Baker

This novel is historical fiction based on the life of a writer during the invasion of Paris in the 1940s. I don’t know much about the writer or indeed life during the invasion of Paris, but the story sounds intriguing and very well-written from what I can tell of the few pages I’ve read already.

8.     God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson

This novel has been heavily awarded lately, having been nominated for the equivalent of a book bafta, the Costa Book award among others. It is a semi-sequel of another novel by Kate Atkinson – Life after Life – about one of the minor characters of that book during that time in the Second World War.

Aside from sensing a theme of World War Two I have got a lot of books to get through this month. And I can’t wait! There are some really good buys and gifts in here. It’s been a good month!

Let me know what books you’ve bought/received this month.

Happy Reading!

No comments