May Wrap Up & June TBR


 
May was a good month for reading! I read a total of eight books – although 6 of those were Harry Potter Books and re-reads! They still count.

I finished University this month, but not before I was a tad unwell, so to comfort myself through illness and revision I thought I would re-read Harry Potter.

I re-read the series every summer, but I started earlier this year as it most definitely is not summer. Currently the weather makes snow look appealing.

So Books 1-6 were:

-         Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone

-         Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secret

-         Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

-         Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

-         Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

-         Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I am currently reading the last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but I just got to Dobby’s death and I can’t handle anymore until this evening…so I won’t be finishing it tonight.

Now…

The 7th Book I read this month was:

-         Seriously Funny: The Endlessly Quotable Terry Pratchett by Terry Pratchett

 
I picked this up from my work experience at Transworld, Penguin Random House, it came out a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed.

I had, of course, heard of the great late Terry Pratchett but I’ve never read any of his books – something which my father will forever try and remedy – but I found myself flicking through this little book, as it is only tiny, and I was chortling with laughter!

Terry Pratchett has got to be one of the most quotable people that ever lived. It’s hilarious, honest and heart-warming. Some of the quotes are from his books – not all of them, or anywhere near enough from the character of Death, which is why I only gave this little 4 stars – but there are also some quotes from Terry Pratchett himself.

I’ll give you a snippet of some of the wondrous lines that this book contains:

‘Give a man a fire and he’s warm for a day, but set fire to him and he’s warm for the rest of his life’

Think about it!

Now laugh!

The final book I read this month:

-         The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories by Tim Burton

 
I have been indoctrinated into loving Tim Burton by my best friend who I think would happily marry him.

That being so I saw this little book in a second-hand bookshop, unaware that he had ever written anything, and so purchased it. Now it says ‘stories’ but to clear some things up this is a book of prose poetry. All of the stories are poems which rhyme, although most have no rhythm and really don’t make sense.

But that’s part of the fun.

The characters are incredible. They suit Tim Burton’s imagination to a tea. There are long stories of characters such as Oyster Boy – a boy is literally an oyster – and then really short ones about characters called The Pin Cushion Queen, James, Junk Girl, Mummy Boy.

Some of the stories are very funny and others are just a little too gruesome for words.

It is a weird book in all it’s glory but unfortunately due to its original yet weird style of writing it feels like a children’s book but I most definitely would not give this book to a child for fear of traumatising them. So it kind of doesn’t fit anywhere, yet is enjoyable all the same.

It’s worth looking at the creepy illustrations as well – all done by Tim Burton.

 
I gave this book 3.5 stars out of 5.

They are all of the books that I have read in the month of May. I am now going to do my June TBR, which is first since I haven’t done a TBR in quite a while.

June:

1.     The Yellow Brick War by Danielle Paige – I want to read this as soon as I’ve finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!

 
2.     The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham – I fancy re-reading this now I have it in a lovely red-spine vintage edition

 
3.     Smoke by Dan Vyleta – This is soon to be published in July and it has been described as a cross-over between Harry Potter and the Mortal Instrument series, I think. I’ve got a proof copy so we shall see if it lives up to the high expectations!
 
What books have you read this month and what books are you planning to read?

Happy Reading!

No comments