Independent Bookshop Week Tag


This week is Independent Bookshop Week, a week I have had in my calendar for some time. It is the week to go shopping for books in all the small, or big, independent bookstores across the country.

There is an organised book crawl on Saturday 25th, which I cannot take part in, but I am going to be going on a small bookshop crawl tomorrow when I’m in London.

Independent Bookshop Week is a lot of fun – and it is not wholly based in Loddon. Go to their website and check out all of the fun independent bookshops near you!
I was contacted by the lovely #IBW team to blog about my experiences and one of the fun things that you can do to tag part is complete the #IBW tag!

Which I shall do now

1.   What book(s) is currently in your bag?

Currently, Grief is the thing with Feathers by Max Porter. I have actually finished it today andI must admit it hasn’t touched me in the way it touched everyone else. But that is the book I am carrying around with me.

2.   What’s the last great book you read?

The last great book I read was Multitudes by Lucy Caldwell. It is a short story collection which I reviewed over on Youtube. I really enjoyed it, it totally gripped me. The writing was fantastic, the stories fascinating and the whole gist of the book was wonderful.

3.   What book have you gifted the most?

I rarely gift but I occasionally do book swaps and by some sort of private joke, with myself, I always end up gifting Burial Rites by Hannah Kent although I am yet to read it myself.

4.   What’s your favourite independent bookshop?

My favourite is actually a second-hand independent bookshop in London called Any Amount of Books. It’s on Charing Cross Road and is a gem for a bargain-find book. You can get proof copies in there for books that haven’t even been released, you can find new-releases below R.R.P, and it has the shelf size and atmosphere of a Harry Potter library. I love it.

5.   What’s been your favourite book recommended by a bookseller (or fellow booktuber)?

I’ve never been recommended a book by a bookseller, unfortunately, but via a booktuber the best book was probably The Butcher’s Hook. Jen Campbell reviewed it and did a podcast with the author and I had to have it and I really enjoyed it.

6.   What’s your favourite bookshop memory?

Finding a bookshop when I was on the worst holiday ever. I went to Norfolk when I was 12 with 4 books. I was there for a week and read them on by Day 3. It was terrible. We found a Waterstones on the way home and I spent all my ‘’holiday’ money, which I hadn’t spent, on the first three books of the Twilight series and read them all on the way home. I was so happy.

7.   What do bookshops mean to you? What do you love about them?

The atmosphere. I’m not so big on the smell – unless it’s a classic library kind of bookshop – but the atmosphere of being tucked into close shelves bulging with books, and getting that thrill when you find a bargain or a book you’ve been looking for ages.

8.   What are the books that made you? Which books have most affected or influenced you?

Twilight – I know – but this series really got me into reading. Harry Potter – they kept me reading and probably books like Apache by Tanya Landman, Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier and Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. Books that made me want to be a writer and read everything.

9.   What book do you recommend readers gift for Father’s Day? (Next year then)

Crisis by Frank Gardner. I met/worked with Frank at Transworld on work experience and he was lovely and the book is the first in a new trilogy of James Bonds for the modern reader kind of books. Sounds good for most.

10.  What book is currently at the top of your TBR pile?

Smoke by Dan Vylet. I am reading it, bit by bit, but I’m finding it a bit dense and not very Harry-Potter-ish as described in the blurb. We’ll see.

So that is the IBW tag and it is easy yet really fun to complete. I tag all those taking part, in one way or another, in IBW and I’ll speak soon!

Happy Reading!

No comments