June Book Haul


 
It’s the end of the month which means: Book Haul time!

I’ve been relatively good this month, buying only 11 books, most of which were second-hand.

I’m going to jump straight in and show you what I’ve been buying this month!

 
 
Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham

I am currently reading this and really enjoying it. I’m very much into my feminism right now and this is one of those books that is often recommended in the community. I don’t actually like Lena Dunham, not that I’ve really experienced much of her work, but her TV series Girls really frustrated me and I just didn’t find it funny. But her book is very well-written, if a little haphazardly structured. Full review will be up soon.

Girl Up by Laura Bates

This is probably my book of the month. I’ve seen it everywhere and every time I walked into a Waterstones or WHSmith I picked it up and really wanted to get it. But for someone who is currently job hunting money is pretty precious and for £12.99 it was too much. But when I found it for £6 on Amazon I couldn’t resist any longer. I started it last night and already I’m really enjoying it!

The Museum of You by Carys Bray

I was really happy to find this book in my favourite second-hand indie shop butI couldn’t’ get into it. I’m going to try again in a few weeks but it felt very dreamy and not very well explained. I didn’t get far, like I said, and I do like the premise so I’m going to put it down and come back I think.

Multitudes by Lucy Caldwell

This is possibly my favourite read of the month. It is a collection of short-stories about growing up and I thought it was fantastic. The writing is wonderful, the stories gripping and the overall feel and layout of the book were really great. I’d highly recommend it.


Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin

I’ve actually got this book on eBook and now paperback. I’m fascinated by the premise: In an alternative reality, where Hitler has won the Second World War, a young girl enters a motorbike race in order to assassinate Hitler. What? How? Why? Can’t wait to read this!

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

My Red-Spine Vintage collection is slowly growing and this was a classic I thought I would add to the collection. I have no idea when I’ll get around to reading this but it was a great find in a charity shop.

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

After, finally, reading The Handmaid’s Tale by Atwood a few months ago I wanted to try out some more of her work. Alias Grace is considered her most literary novel, which won several accolades along with The Handmaid’s Tale, and I think I’ll give it a try soon.


The Suffragettes by Various Authors (Little Black Penguin Book #94)

When I went on my recent Independent Bookshop Crawl across London I popped into Housmanns, a political bookshop just round the corner from Kings Cross Station. I had to buy something, and as an avid collector of the Little Black Penguin Classics I though this one would be perfect!

Perfume by Patrick Suskind

I picked up a £1 edition of Perfume, again would you believe. I’ve read this book twice and there is something intriguing about the narrative which makes a bad man turn into a really creative/fascinating protagonist. It’s also an exotic story full of smells, France and murder. I quite enjoy it.

Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter

I’m going to start off by saying I didn’t enjoy this book. I don’t know why but I just didn’t. There were some lovely sentiments and an interesting layout and theme but I just didn’t like it that much. Or, at least, not as much as the various prizes and reviewers I’ve seen. Oh well.

The Watcher in the Shadows by Carlos Ruiz Safon

I’ve seen Carlos Ruiz Safon’s work everywhere over the last few years but when I spotted the cover of this book it was the first time I’ve picked one of his books up. I think this is an older children’s book, about a watchmaker of some kind. It is fairly short with a gorgeous cover so I thought I might enjoy it.

So there we are. They are all of the books that I’ve picked up this month. There’s not likely to be many books in July due to the ‘job-hunting’ aspect of my life right now, but we’ll see.

I’ve got plenty of books to read in the meantime.

Happy Reading!

 

No comments