June Wrap-Up




It’s that time of the month again. No, not that type. It’s time to wrap-up what I’ve been reading!
This month has been rather poor, for me, I only read 5 books in total. But I am currently reading 5 at the moment as wellI don’t know why I’ve started so many!
Anywaythe reason behind my lack of reading is simply that June is Birthday Month in my family. Every week there is often more than 1 birthday or event to go to – this month was my 21st, my grandparent’s 60th wedding anniversary, my dad’s birthday, my mum’s birthday, Father’s Dayand so many more!
I had hardly any time to wrap presents let alone read. So 5 is actually pretty good.
Here are the books I read:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K.Rowling
I did my yearly re-read of the Harry Potter series and finished the last book this month. I also bought Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and I’m a bit excited now. Nothing much to say. I still love it. 5 stars.
The Yellow Brick War by Dorothy Paige
I’ve done a full review of this book here so I won’t say much. I don’t think it was as strong as the first book, and probably on equal measure with the second, but there is still a magic to this series which makes me read these books super quickly. I think that it is just a lot of fun.
Multitudes by Lucy Caldwell
Definitely my book of the month. This is a collection of short stories, which I have reviewed over on my youtube channel so I’ll link that here. I adored this collection, from the layout to the voice to the cover and plotlines. It was gripping, powerful, poignant and funny. Everything I want in a series which encapsulates childhood.
Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
I finally got around to reading this book this month andI don’t understand. It didn’t feel amazing or special to me. It was well-written and interesting, with some really heart-breaking, yet lovely, sentiments but ultimately I just finished it for the sake of finishing it. I gave it a 3 stars and I would interested to know why people love this book, I just didn’t.
One by Sarah Crossan
I’ve had this book on my kindle for a while, I picked it up on Netgalley, and since it was relatively short and a children’s novel I thought it would pass the time whilst I was at work and it did! I was hooked! I read this story in two sittings and was moved and fascinated and amused. The story is about two sisters called Grace and Tibbi, and they are conjoined twins. The story is in first-person narration from only one of the twins: Grace, which makes the book really special. It’s a metaphorical separation of twins and it’s beautiful. The story itself is a tear-jerker but one that is handled well, and is well-deserved of the accolades it has won!
Currently I am reading, and hope to complete in July:
-      The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides
-      Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham
-      Girl Up by Laura Bates
-      Sisters by Jennifer Copeley
-      The Vagina Monologues
I am feeling the feminist vibe this month – to next – if you haven’t noticed. I will be doing a few feminist posts over on my lifestyle blog in the next few weeks so watch out for that.
In the meantime though
Happy Reading!
 

1 comment