July Book Haul


This month I have been frugal! I have been getting books from the library and reaching for older books rather than buy books!

But I have bought someand I got one on Netgalley which I shall include in the list below also.

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

This book was everywhere a while ago and I found it in a charity shop for 50p in immaculate condition, and the cover is gorgeous and reviews amazing so I had to buy it. Even though I haven’t got a clue what it is about. The blurb reads that the story is about a ‘fathers and sons and the spiritual battles that still rage in America’s heart’. It’s a fairly short novel, appears to be historical and I haven’t read too many books with a father-son dynamic so I’m looking forward to picking this up.


The Human Factor by Graham Greene

I have been growing my Vintage Red-Spine book collection lately and this is the first of four books I bought this month from that label. I know the name Graham Greene but I have never read his works. The Human Factor is about an aging British intelligence officer and his African wife. Something goes wrong between Britain and Africa and there is a lot of tension. It’s an espionage novel so not one I normally pick up but Greene is supposedly famous for his use of suspense and focus on minor characters.

 
Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie

A huge book but one that really intrigued me. A child is born at the stroke of Midnight in India and discovers later in life that he is telepathically connected to a 1000 other children, all born at midnight hence the name. Each child has a special gift and the story is a whirlwind of disasters and triumphs that mirrors the course of modern India. Sounds colourful and fun and classic.

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

I have read this book before but I don’t have it in my possession and since this was in the gorgeous red-spine edition I just had to have it.


All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

I have bought this book so many times and never read it, but it is WW1 and in the red-spine collection and I got into a conversation with someone that adores it the other day. I have to read it, someday. The story focuses on German soldiers who fight in WW1 and it epitomises the loss and stupidity of the war, but in a different perspective to the ones’ that we see the most.


Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige

So for regularly readers of my blog you’ll know I love the Dorothy Must Die series and this is the first novel in Danielle Paige’s new series about the Snow Queen. She has released the prequel to the masses already and Stealing Snow comes out on October 6th, I was lucky enough to receive the ebook via netgallley and I can’t wait to read it!

So there are all the books I have got this month – not including Harry Potter & the Cursed Child which I’ve pre-ordered on Kindle (my brother is getting the paperback) which comes out TOMORROW!  I’ll be up at midnight to read that one!


But including Harry Potter that’s not many at all, but this is good as I don’t have the money, and the library is packed with great books to read!

Let me know what books you’ve bought or received this month, and if there are any you think I should get next month!

Happy Reading! 


3 comments

  1. I loved Midnight's Children and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is also one of my favourite books - the Vintage covers look great! I was trying to be good with book buying this month by focusing on books I already own and using my local library more, but I couldn't resist buying The Storyteller by Kate Armstrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I've never heard of The Storyteller but I love the title. I'll have to check it out. Yeah, I re-discovered my local library lately too! With all the feminist reading I've been doing - and the price of academic books in comparison to trade - I had to start using it more and I love it! The Vintage covers are gorgeous and I've bit the bullet and started a collection! It's great and a great way to read new books too :)

      Ellie x

      Delete
  2. I got my Harry Potter and the Cursed Child book today.
    I ordered it from Amazon and I got it in just 2 days!
    Check it out:
    Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2

    ReplyDelete