Summer Reads 2016


It’s summer! And it feels like it! Great Britain is going through a mini-heatwave right now - which won’t last, yet we remain optimistic - and everyone is complaining! It’s a typical British July.

Because of this it is the perfect time for us Bibliophiles to start compiling our list of Summer Reads to read whilst burning on the beach, in the airport when our plane is delayed or when we feel like staying in after complaining that the rain means we can never go out.

Aren’t we fabulous complainers!

So here is my 2016 Summer Reads list:

The Girls by Emma Cline

This book is everywhere! On every major magazine list, in every newspaper’s feature review! Everywhere! And I don’t know why and that bugs me. I have got the eBook version of The Girls from Netgalley so I think I am going to read this on, either, my new commute to London or when I go to New York at the end of August on the plane. We shall see! But it appears to be a must-read of 2016!

Only Ever Yours by Louise O’Neill

I am going through a big feminist phase and I really want to read some fiction-feminist literature and not just non-fiction. This is a go-to book apparently, and one that was raved about a lot last year but which I missed out on. I want to get to it this year and I can’t wait!

Harry Potter & The Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany

This is going to be the book to read this year. It is released at the end of this month – so not long to wait – and the pre-order has been huge. I count myself as one of those who has pre-ordered it, after a lengthy denial period. After re-reading Harry Potter in May I realised I could not-not read this book so I bit the bullet and now I can’t wait. It’s set to be a massive bestseller.

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler

Vinegar Girl is the 3rd book to be released in the Hogarth series of Shakespeare Re-Writes. This book is a re-telling of The Taming of the Shrew – aka a re-re-telling of Ten Things I Hate About You, and we all love that movie - I have been trying desperately to get my hands on a proof copy of this book but it was impossible! So now I just have to purchase it and read it! I can’t wait!

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

I know I am incredibly late to the party with this book – the second book has been out for months – but I’ve yet to get to this series. But I bought the ebook a few months ago and I am determined to get down to it either during commuting or, again, when I go to New York in August. I read a lot of fairy-tale re-telling’s at the beginning of the New Year so I’m hoping to re-visit some of those themes  and compare them.

There are 5 of my top summer reads of 2016. I’m sure there are many more but I will catch you up with those as and when I get to them.

Let me know what you’re planning on reading this summer!

Happy Reading!

3 comments

  1. I read Only Ever Yours earlier this year, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed by it - hopefully you'll get on with it a lot better than me! Although I wasn't a huge fan of the book as a whole, I did really like the concept behind it and the themes it discusses. It definitely got under my skin. This summer, I want to read A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing. I think you might be interested in Why God is a Woman by Nin Andrews - Jen Campbell did a brilliant video on it a while ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'll like Only Ever Yours, I've had it for ages! I just need to read something but Louise O'Neill! I've heard fantastic things about A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing and her new book is out soon too. :)


      Ellie x

      Delete