Harry Potter & the Cursed Child Part 2 || Theatre Review


You have no idea how hard it is to write this review.

I am having all the same feelings I had when I saw the last Harry Potter movie in cinemas, and I was a wreck that day.

It feels like it is all over. Again.

Now I know it’s not, as we have Fantastical Beasts & Where to Find Them out soon, but like my original feelings for the Cursed Child I’m not greatly enthralled by the idea, although I will see it!

As with Cursed Child, it may pleasantly – and amazingly – surprise me.

I’m sure by now most people are sick of seeing 5-star reviews of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (the play) but that is what it is. 100% good.

Okay99.5% good – the two main characters should have got together! But there was a less prominent need for this in the second half, compared to the first (see full review here) so I can forgive them.
Look at these seats! OMG!

It is a familial play. It is for families and children – the second half is additionally scary but then why not. Kids like to be scared – it’s why we have theme parks! – But just like the first part of the play it was greatly entertaining, exciting and exceptional.

As a piece of theatre it is just phenomenal! I can’t even begin to describe it.

The actors – particularly Anthony Boyle – were particularly strong in the second half. I think Sam Clemmett was perhaps stronger as well, which is impressive as he was very good the first half, but his comedic timing was perfect.

Every time these two mates, and they seem like genuine mates, came on stage I knew I was going to get a laugh. A genuine gut-hurting laugh. And it was the simplest of things like a giggle or the simple screaming of the word ‘Help!’ that made the entire audience fall to bits.

Alex Price, who plays Draco Malfoy, is also a great source of comedic entertainment in the second half, much moreso than the first. He is also a lot warmer. You just want to hug him!

You want to hug Draco Malfoy. Come on! That is a sign of a good performance.

I felt a little deflated with one scene between Ron and Hermione – which had made me cry when I read it in the script, yet it didn’t distil the same reaction in the play - but I know why and that is because it is a rushed moment – which it had to be – and it is also a scary moment. There’s not really a chance to cry over it, until later and by then it is just sweet.

There was just the right balance of sweetness, fear, comedy and drama in this piece. None of which really came from the antagonists, who are scary but then aren’t that important. You can tell from the curtain call at the end – at which everyone stood up before any of the actors came on the stage – that the characters people reacted to the most were the 7 mains:

Draco, Scorpius, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Ron and Albus.

I was in tears by the end. Not because it was bad or I was upset, I just didn’t want it to be over. Again.

I wrote this facebook post when I got home, buzzing and over-excited, yet still deflated – a feeling that I am experiencing right now as I write this. It sums up how I felt about the show, the performance and just the overall experience.

I’m thankful I saw it. I want to see it again. I will see it again.

I implore people to see if it they get the chance. When a show can resonate so strongly with someone, even when they disliked the script and they thought it was a glamour projectwhen a show can prove someone so wrong.you know it is something special.

Love Ellie x




P.S. It kind of made my night that my tweet of being in awe of the performance got liked by Anthony Boyle & Sam Clemmett also. Just a little fan-girling going on. No biggie :)


No comments