Top Ten Halloween Reads || Books


So it is that time of year again when we all dress up and try and scare each other. Or in my casesit home with a load of candy and read books in a onesie.

Woop Woop!

I love this time of year!

I thought I would share with you some of my favourite Halloween reads. It is pretty similar to last years as Halloween reads are few and far between it seems!

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs

A pretty standard Halloween read, but a unique one. The inclusion of photographs is what makes this books so universally interesting. The plot itself is, at times, confusing but the visuals are easily pictured due to the creepy photos that are in the book and which inspired the characters. My personal favourite characters are the bee boy and the girl with the mouth in the back of her skull!

I haven’t seen the movie but I imagine it is also a great Halloween see as well!

The Signalman
by Charles Dickens

If you are looking for creepy and short why not take a peek at this simple yet haunting – get it haunting! – short story. Set at a haunted railway junction, a signalman receives three warnings before three terrible incidents happenincluding the premonition of the Signalman’s own death! Very unnerving.

Jane Eyre
by Charlotte Bronte

I maintain that not all Halloween reads have to be scary novels, they can be romances or Sci-Fi’s too with a spooky element. I think the madwoman in the attic is a spooky idea. Imagine living in the house of the man you love with his insane wife living upstairs without you knowing it! Creepy!

Harry Potter
by J K Rowling

They can also be novels with traditional Halloween elements to them! Like Witches and Wizards! Who doesn’t like a fun Halloween read. I imagine children were pretty scared of Voldemort. Once upon a time

Fairytales
by Brothers Grimm or Hans Christian Andersen

That last line led me perfectly into this next collection of short stories: fairy tales. I’m not talking the Disney-fied versions but actual fairy tales! The story of Snow White trying to be killed by the creepy witch; Hansel and Gretel being abandoned by their parents and eaten alive by the wicked witch! Horrid!

The Wizard of Oz
by Frank L Baum

The Wicked Witch of the West is awful! The movie version still creeps me-the-hell-out! I skip over the ‘do-dup-do-dup-do-der-der’ moments when the witch comes riding in on her broomstick with the billowing green smoke. UhhI’m picturing it now! *shudder*

Graphic Novels

I haven’t actually read any horror graphic novels but I just think they must be the most terrifying thing to read at night before you go to sleep! Can you imagine reading The Woman in Black as a graphic novel and then trying to sleep with your door open? Nope. No, can do.

Frankenstein
by Mary Shelley

Another classic. I don’t see this as a horror now, so much as a philosophical book but the idea of a man made up of different body parts is pretty awful. The treatment of him by his master is worse though!

Dorothy Must Die
by Danielle Paige

Another Wizard of Oz themed book.  This one is much more gruesome and bloodthirsty. You don’t think it at first, you think it’s a bog-standard YA, but then again Danielle Paige wrote episodes of Hemlock Grove which was like Twilight without the romance and more blood! Paints you a picture of this book too.

1984
by George Orwell

With room 101. The basement of torture where all your worst fears are kept. Pretty vivid idea of horror here, but psychologically. Imagine Brexit but with my tortureimagine the US Presidential Election and Brexit combined!

So there are ten Halloween reads to be getting on with over the next few weeks! Like I said, I anticipate reading a few Graphic Novels over the coming days – I just need to pick some up first!

Let me know what books you’ll be reading this Halloween

Happy Reading!

No comments