November Wrap Up


November was a weird month of reading for me. I really wanted to read good books but every book I started I got bored with, within a few pages.

I ended up reading four books over the month, which isn’t too bad, and I am officially over my Goodreads Book Challenge so yay!

The Princess Bride
by William Goldman
****


After reading Cary Elwes As You Wish memoir last month, I had a really urge to read the original Princess Bride novel again. This was a re-read but I understood so much more this time around! I first read this novel when I was about 14 or 15 and I didn’t realise it was a satire and so got really confused by the multiple narrators and characters. Now I’ve re-read it I’ve soaked in a lot more and I really love the characters and the humour. Some of Goldman’s lines and comic sarcastic are utter genius!

The History Boys
by Alan Bennet
(Audiobook)
*****


If you read my blog frequently you’ll know that I read this book last month. But this month I listened to it instead! It is my first audiobook and one I really enjoyed listening to on my morning commute. As the book is a play it was simply like listening to the play but some snips to the text to make it suitable for radio. Great listening for a first-time audiobook!

Blue is the Warmest Colour
by Julie Maroh
****


I’ve been meaning to read this Graphic Novel as long as I’ve had a blog, so coming up for three years. It is a beautiful love story between two girls and also a coming-of-age story of growing up gay. It was before it’s time and the graphics are beautiful! Everything is dark and dreary except for the blue of Emma, one of the protagonists. It’s a great story for anyone looking to read more LGBT novels.

The White Princess
by Philippa Gregory
*


I always read at least one Philippa Gregory book a year and I wish I hadn’t read this one. It was so dull and repetitive and downright confusing although nothing happens! The story of Henry VII and his wife Elizabeth couldn’t have been made duller! Nothing much did happen in this period beyond rebellions and piety, due to the King’s Mother religious insanity (she’d a terrorist today!) but Gregory didn’t have to make such a long novel about it! Painful reading. But I finished it all the same. I only hope the Starz TV drama they’re completing on this book is better than the novel itself!

Next month I’m hoping to read more than I did this month! I’m still between books at the moment, although I am making my way very slowly through three as well!

Now that I’ve lost my Goodreads challenge I don’t think I have the motivation to put down my downloaded BBC documentaries on the train in place of a book. But you never know what will happen in the next few weeks to get me reading happily again!

Let me know what books you’ve been reading this month!

Happy Reading!

3 comments

  1. I just finished up with The Rich Girls Club by HoneyB and I am about to start The Color Master by Aimee Bender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a shame about that Philippa Gregory book, I have been meaning to read it for ages but now I don't think I'll bother - thanks for the heads up! This November I read "The Best Man" by Matt Dunn which was ok but nothing too exciting!

    Abbey ✨ www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've fallen in love with the Kasie West books, and actually a lot of the YA books from Scholastic Inc.

    Linda B
    https://bricesmicechristianbookreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete